• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Old Smart Panasonic problems getting Iplayer using ethernet cable

Joanne60

Novice Member
Hi new to this and struggling to find answers.
Old Panasonic TX-L32E6B
Have connected to internet using WI FI from BT home hub extenders a couple of years ago. ( no longer have these)
Trying to connect using long ethernet cable Netflix plays happily. BBCIplayer will not load to play although opens into choices of programs but when you selcet one it throws you back to TV program. Lots of buffering.
Last week moved TV to middle of room where it worked on WIFI using BBC Iplayer.
I can see on BT Hub entering admin password and advanced - network that ethernet cable recognises tv mac and Ip numbers.
Can see TV recognises wired connection as clearly does to play netflix.
When we used WIfi a couple of years ago there were more apps that no longer show such as you tube and I think facebook no longer there now.
Any help would be appreciated maybe answered in other posts but have had a look through and not seen anything that helps really struggling at 70 to figure out best way forward and BT not been very helpful.

mikej

Prominent Member
As the TV is 7 years old now, it's likely that the apps haven't been updated in a long time so it's not surprising that some no longer work properly.

Your best bet might be to buy an external streaming device you can connect to the TV's HDMI port. Something like a Firestick or Roku will have a regularly updated, large selection of apps and will connect to your WiFi, so will bypass any potential issues with the TV's WiFi or Ethernet connection.

Joanne60

Novice Member
Many thanks for your response. I have been struggling for four weeks to find answers but not being very aware about such things had not realised about this as a solution I have discussed with family member who is a bit more knowledgeable and now ordered Firestick and adaptor because WIFi is very poor where TV is. I spoke to 4 people through BT not one thought to suggest it might be out of date TV.

mikej

Prominent Member
Unfortunately, it's in a manufacturer's best interests to make you buy a new TV rather than keep supporting an old one, so you normally only get software and app updates for a year or two and then it's a case of keeping your fingers crossed after that !

If you have other devices that use wi-fi like smartphones and tablets, then it might be worth trying to improve the wi-fi around your home. I currently use BT Mini Wi-Fi Home hotspot extenders which give a far better signal than the router which is located at the opposite side of the house. These aren't perfect though and require regular resets. I intend to replace these with a decent 'mesh' wi-fi network at some stage, which should be much more reliable.

I currently have my Panasonic TV and other nearby devices hard-wired to my router via a network switch (essentially a splitter), which is connected to the router via a long ethernet cable under the house. If you're reliant on streaming services like iPlayer, then a hard-wired connection is always going to be more reliable than wi-fi :)

Joanne60

Novice Member
Thank you for this further information. We did lay a long ethernet cable which makes Netflix work but not BBC I player, BT sent me connectors which also worked for Netflix but these were meant to plug into you tube box, they have posted free Wi Fi extenders which might then work but decided to buy adaptor anyway just in case the WI FI extenders don't work because they have to be plugged into ethernet on TV so not fully wifi. we don't use other gadgets other than phone which is how I know where blank spots are for wifi. I know it says on Firestick that it has good wifi connection but decided to buy the adaptor anyway. At 70 it has been a real struggle to get this sorted out if it works and I have every confidence it will we will probably get another one for TV which is currently on a BT YOU Tube box costing about £24 a month, so cheap at the price. I am very greatfull for your help. Over the last four weeks it has caused a lot of marital disharmony especially as it took husband 2 days to drill through internal walls for laying an ethernet cable and then didn't work.

mikej

Prominent Member
Streaming devices like Fire TV Sticks are a great way to add 'smart' features to an older or non-smart TV. You'll usually get all the basic catch-up streaming apps like iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My 5 and UK TV Play, plus YouTube and access to services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and many others, which will require a subscription.

If you're going to get a second Fire TV Stick and can afford to wait a bit, they are usually around half price on Black Friday (November) or Prime Day. I would wait and see how you get on with the first one though. It's a shame they've recently stopped selling the older 1080p version, as it was cheaper and would have been fine for your non-4K TV.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom