1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Sky box - what to do with it

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Yugo1, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had Sky+ fitted the other day....it's good but I lose the signal on movie channels easily and have block/freeze screens :thumbsdow

Anyway, what can I do with my old box. I have other rooms with TV's but going through ordinary ariels. Can I use it as a freeview box? If so how.

Your advise would help me as I'm an idiot :hiya:

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    To use it as a free view box you would need to get another line run from the LNB on the sat dish - it isnt very difficult to do but you can pay a pro to do it if you are concerned.

Personally mine has just gone into the cupboard to be brought out as a back up for if/when the Sky+ decides to playup/die

3. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suggest you contact the engineer/sky who fitted your system about the freezing etc. He should come back and check allignment and equipment. That shouldn't happen

Your old box can be used as a free to air box in another room. You will need to run a spare wire from your new quad LNB into the box, and you will get all free to air channels apart from ITV, C4 and C5. If you want these you will have to buy a £20 freeview card from sky (The blue one with yellow house on it)

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Or, you can pay Sky £10 a month and get "multi-room" with your old box, which would give all the channels you get on the first box on your spare box. I think they will do the wiring for you, but Sky will fill you in on the details.

5. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all.

When the engineer fitted the + box he did say he would be back as he'd changed a lot of those boxes (PACE V1).

I thought it was because of the weather but it's only on a couple of channels.

See how it goes , then call out if still crap.