Old Sky+ box but new cables help?

Cull32

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

This is my very first post, so please forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I have been using my old Sky+ box for as long as I can remember to just get the free channels, BBC1/2/ITV/FILM4 etc.

I do not have a sky subscription, and do not want to have one thank you very much lol, we do not watch enough tv to warrant paying £40 a month for it.

Anyway I digress........
So I've recently moved house, and have taken my old sky+ box with me, the previous owners of the house DID have sky, they had recently upgraded to skyQ.

Now, when I have gone to plug my old box in, it is telling me I have no satellite signal, I have rebooted, re installed, gone into the special menu and done the housekeeping thing, but it still says no signal.

Is this because the cables are not compatible with my box? (When I say my box is old, it is OLD!! probably about 10ish years old, one of the old white ones)

I am looking to just buy a sky box and to have the freebies (freesat?) channels again, if I buy a reconditioned HD+ box will the cables work in there, or do I have to change the cables completely?

Thanks for reading this long ramble, any help would be gratefully appreciated

If they had upgraded to Sky Q then almost certainly the lnb (bit on arm in front of dish) has been replaced with a Sky Q lnb which is totally incompatible with your Sky box and virtually all other satellite receivers. The lnb will need changing for a new non Sky Q lnb ( a standard Sky one is required if it is a Sky elliptical dish)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately I have no idea what you just said :laugh:

I am quite tech savvy but when it comes to this I am totally a dumb blonde!!

So my old house had one white wire that was screwed into the back of the box, and then a scart lead was attached to the tv, that's all I did, I didn't ever use the record option.

This house has two black leads with a blue band coming out of the wall, attaching both, or just one (into dish one) doesn't do anything.

Is there any sort of adaptor that I can buy that will just let me plug it I to an HD box?

Sorry for the stupid questions

So the wires on the dish right?

Are they easy enough to change yourself, is it a case of unscrewing and rescrewing them on, or is it more in-depth than that?

I take it that the adaptor option isn't available?

Thanks for the quick replies

Can you just buy a skyQ box? I haven't seen any on eBay etc so I'm assuming not

No, the LNB, the device that picks up and converts the satellite signal, needs replacing.
Sky Q machines belong to Sky and therefore cannot be purchased separately.

Welcome to the forum, but why do you fly the US flag?
Also, why did you post about Sky under a note asking you not to?

Last edited:
Ah crap did it? I'm so sorry I obviously didn't read everything correctly, I can remove the thread if it is breaking rules, someone directed me here and I saw lots of people asking about sky boxes so I thought it was ok, so sorry.

I'm in the UK but have been watching something on my phone today using a VPN as it's only available in the U.S. so it's probably still active on my phone lol

OK - you move the thread to the Sky sub-forum.
The flag is OK now.

The cables are compatible, it's the LNB that's not as mentioned before.
This is a Sky standard LNB HERE. They are held onto the bracket that is shown in the picture with a single screw. It's on the other side of the picture, but obvious when you see one. It sits on the end of the sticky out bit from the dish.
Just remove the cables from your existing SkyQ LNB, undo the screw, fold back the bracket, fit the new LNB, rotate the LNB about 15 degrees clockwise (when facing the dish), tighten the screw, refit the cables (Any socket will do) and job done. Simples, providing you have easy access to the dish.
Alternatively, just remove the pin that is holding the existing bracket to the boom arm then refit the whole lot and re-insert the pin and cables.
Can you just buy a skyQ box? I haven't seen any on eBay etc so I'm assuming not
No. They belong to Sky and if you see one for sale, it has been stolen, or will be stolen by the renter when he sells it.

@logiciel Can the OP move the whole thread?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom