Old Sigma or minolta lenses for sony a200

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Lee`, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Lee`

Lee`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I recently purchased, a sony a200 and I'm looking to get some 'new' lenses to play with. I have the choice of buying a pair of Sigma 28-105 zoom lens, and Sigma 75-300 lens, or a pair of minolta AF LENS 70/210 MM and AF LENS 35/70 MM. I believe the 70/210 is the beercan which I hear a lot about for the sony. The sigmas provide a wider range of EFLs, but I not too fussed about this, and would rather purchase better quality.

Note, I currently have the kit lens that comes with the sony a200 18/70 3.5/5.6.

2. leaky5

leaky5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Minolta did a few variations of 70-210's and 35-70's.

The Beercan is this one, normally around £130-£150. Very heavy lens, but great IQ.
    Minolta AF 70-210 F4 (beercan) 2555-110 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount

The better 35-70 is this one.
    Minolta AF 35-70 F4 2551-100 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount

Dyxum should have the Sigma's listed in the lens DB. I look at it this way, anything with a score of 4.00 of over is probably OK.

If buying from Ebay, be sure to ask plenty of questions about the lens and check if they will take refunds if you find anything wrong with it.

3. Lee`

Lee`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the advice, I think both the minoltas are the good ones, from the pictures. I'll be buying in person, what are the things to look for when buying a new lens, ie what's the best way to see fungus, if there is any? I'm presuming that any of these lenses would be better than the kit lens?

4. leaky5

leaky5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You need to hold the aperture open, for this you need a pencil and you can see a small bar through a hole in the mount. It is spring loaded, open it and let go, the aperture should snap shut. That is your first test, if it does not snap shut the aperture blades could be sticking.

Next, open the aperture again and look into the lens, try and angle it so you can see to the edge of the elements, do this from the front and rear of the lens. This is quite a good guide and shows what fungus looks like if you don't know.

eBay Guides - How To Detect Flaws in Used Camera Lenses on Ebay

5. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    If these lenses are the f4 beercans then snap them up, very good lenses.

Also be careful of the older sigma lenses, some of them that were designed for minolta cameras will not work on the alphas.