Old screen that does not lock when pulled down - fix?

netrate

Novice Member
Reaction score
I got one of those old pull down screen from a goodwill and it is in great condition except it does not lock when pulled down. The tension is good, it retracts, everything, but I cannot get it to lock when pulling it down - slowly, fast, jerking it to lock etc. Any idea how to fix this?

I got one of those old pull down screen from a goodwill and it is in great condition except it does not lock when pulled down. The tension is good, it retracts, everything, but I cannot get it to lock when pulling it down - slowly, fast, jerking it to lock etc. Any idea how to fix this?
What brand is it ?

If it has a name on it, I cannot find it anywhere.
20210816_200707.jpg

I guess the reason for this can be that the hinged locking part does not move freely and can be stuck in the open position and need some lubrication and some service to move freely again so it can engage into the locking position.

2-10.jpg

To fix this you need to disassemble the "locking side" of the screen (that will because no locking function will spin the pre torqued torsion spring all the way to its neutral position.)

Check and service the hinged lock so it can move freely by gravity/rotation again, then torque the torsion spring only enough so it can pull up and hold the screen, lock the lock and mount the spool assembly back and test the function. There is a danger to ruin the torsion spring if it is over-torqued, and it will typically snap when the screen is pulled all the way down...

I guess a good way to find the correct torque preset is to measure how much force/weight is needed to start the upper pull-down of the screen before disassembling, and then use that same force/weight to check the torque needed after the screen is reassembled again.

A safer solution might be to use the screen with an external rope lock/weight that holds the screen at the lower position when used.

Either that excellent advice above, or a kettle bell weight with some string of appropriate length tied to it and the other end with a hook to grab the pull handle to stop the screen retracting. :D:)

A safer solution might be to use the screen with an external rope lock/weight that holds the screen at the lower position when used.
Great minds think alike. :)

So this fix isn't something that would be easy then is what you are saying...

It looks like mine where you have to pull it down and hold in position without further movement for 5 or 6 seconds - maybe more. Apologies if you’ve tried this already. Holding it steady for this length of time works for me. Best wishes anyway.

I have been using it from a position on the floor, I am not sure if that affects it or not. I don't want to drill holes in the wall and find out it doesn't work. I might have to hang it in the garage to double check

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom