• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Old school speakers or modern soundbar?

joner7777

In a previous life- 1990`s , I had a home cinema then it was taken away but I resurrected a KEF reference speaker system and have them stored still.
This was the brochure at the time---

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en...Home_Theatre_Models_TDM23F_23C_34DS_45B_r.pdf

I am now starting to build another cinema but do I use a modern soundbar/bass set up or use my old school KEF speaker set up and buy a amp which could match them?
Thanks for any advice
jo

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A soundbar is an improvement on the TV speakers but is no where near as good as a proper surround system. Speaker technology has not moved much over the last few years so a good speakers from the 90s will still be a good speaker now. I would stick with your current speakers and get a new AVR, The result will be so much better than a soundbar (you will get surround sound for a start which you will not get from a soundbar).

joner7777

A soundbar is an improvement on the TV speakers but is no where near as good as a proper surround system. Speaker technology has not moved much over the last few years so a good speakers from the 90s will still be a good speaker now. I would stick with your current speakers and get a new AVR, The result will be so much better than a soundbar (you will get surround sound for a start which you will not get from a soundbar).

OK, Thanks, I have just looked into the later AVR amps -and Atmos ,wow ,things have moved along from 16 years ago! Back then AVR`s were just a switching amp ,now they are more inter active .
:looks like I will use my speaker system and add some celing Atmos speakers and a new Onkyo AVR to set it alight again!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom