Old school monitor Xbox amp setup!

SonicBoom11

Novice Member
Rather than buy a TV for my studio, I’m trying to be ingenious with what I already have - an alesis amp, an Xbox 360 and a dell P2213 monitor. I just want to watch dvds and play old Xbox games :) There is a good picture on the monitor (connected hdmi from Xbox to dvi-d on monitor). Then a toslink cable coming out of the S/PDIF port on the Xbox which goes into a toslink port on a digital to analog audio converter which is powered by a usb power supply which goes into the Xbox. The output red and white R/L go into one aux input on the amp. This is the wierd thing, when I turn the Xbox on, I get the start up music of the Xbox through the amp and then it just turns into terrible feedback. Doesn’t matter if I play a game or watch a dvd, all I get is interference feedback and yet it plays the Xbox opening music perfectly. Anyone have any ideas? I’m loathe to buy a telly if I can get this working :)

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Are there specific audio settings in the 360 that require the audio output to be of a certain standard / protocol or to enable the toslink rather than using the HDMI for audio?

Is there a Toslink in on the monitor rather than the amp, or any audio inputs? Then go analog out from the monitor to the amp?

SonicBoom11

Novice Member
Are there specific audio settings in the 360 that require the audio output to be of a certain standard / protocol or to enable the toslink rather than using the HDMI for audio?

Is there a Toslink in on the monitor rather than the amp, or any audio inputs? Then go analog out from the monitor to the amp?
Thanks for the response, I couldn’t find anything in the 360 sound settings that required any config. There is no Toslink on the monitor or audio inputs but I’m going to test on a friends monitor with audio as my next step so thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom