• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Old school Kenwood Woes (help needed)

RadarRider

Standard Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and before i start, i'm not an audiophile (just yet!) so be gentle.

I wanted a standalone amp and speakers just to plug my guitar effects into while at home, nothing fancy just so i can hear myself in stereo.

Anyway, i got an old Kenwood A-58 amp off Ebay,
$T2eC16R,!yEE9s5jFRYjBRSdyJZCiw~~60_35.JPG

when i got it home i set it up and there was no display and nothing would work. Well, the red standby light is on and the selector lights that highlight Tape, Cd,Aux etc but no sound or anything.

The guy said it was working but i couldn't figure it out. I noticed on the back that there are a few multipin plug type cable connector holes but it wasn't supplied with anything, just the amp, remote and speakers.

I was wondering if this amp will only work with all the other seperates plugged into it or is there a way to get it working alone?

I'm not clued up on amps so i've no idea if i'm doing something wrong.

Hope someone can shed a little light on the subject!

Thanks in advance
RR

MTech535

Looks like half of a mini system (I have a similar Kenwood in my garage).

The multiple connectors will be to connect the rest of the system (cd & tape) and there will probably one set of analogue rca inputs on the back (for aux source).

The system should work fine without these being connected.

Sounds like it is faulty. How handy are you with electronics and do you own a multi-meter?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom