1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old School DTS dropout

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have the Canadian Unrated Reg 1 and noticed a dropout on the DTS soundtrack at 00:34:40. Played the same bit with DD5.1 - dropout not there.

Firstly, anyone else notice this?

Secondly, can anyone confirm if this is present/absent on the US Reg 1 as well?

2. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The R1 what mate?....
    I have had dts dropout before but only on my old reciever (Sherwood RDS6095). But now Ive got a Marantz SR5300 and after tryin out the movies that had dropout previously.....Nowt
    Dont know if its a player,amp,reciever or disc issue...:rolleyes:
    not much help aye.. sorry Boss

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See the thread title ;)

4. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ahh sorry, very sorry,
    I though you might of meant "old school" as a previous issue. I remember there being an issue with some amps, discs, players having problems with dropout. Sorry again:blush:

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

No worries ;)

The DD 5.1 and the DTS sounded very similar anyway, so not that big a deal, but very annoying that there's a DTS soundtrack there with a dropout on a modern disk from a major studio.

6. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know its frustrating, Me I love dts, Oh and just got Led Zep dvd, WOW, It sounds amazin. Dont know if your a Zep fan or not but crikey its good:smashin:

7. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have this version of Vive La Fraternite and the sound is fine.

Does yours come with any kind of booklet or a chapter list? I think this is the first DVD I've ever purchased which doesn't come with one.

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    What amp/dvd player u using SQ?

There were issues with Yamaha amps and dts bitstream flag which it did no know how to process and hence dropped out.. I had loads when DTS first released there movies (Apollo13, The Shadow etc etc) Have not had any in ages now... but I now use a Onkyo rather then a yamaha.

Cheers

matt

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Monkeyboy - No insert. Lots of companies don't put inserts in their DVDs anymore, including Buena Vista, Universal and a few others. Lion's Gate have never put inserts in their DVDs. I have loads without inserts :)

Matt - It's a Yamaha receiver as it goes :D coupled with a Sony DVD player. I've not had a dropout on any other DTS track though. It occurs just as it changes from Chapter 7 to Chapter 8 and it's like a very brief distortion in the music that isn't there in the DD version. Not sure that I understand you about the flag mate :confused: What sort of flag is it? :)

EDIT - Just heard from someone on another forum who reports DTS dropouts during each chapter change in the first 30 or so minutes of the movie :eek: Looks like this DTS track does cause problems only on some receivers... Ah well :rolleyes:

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The flag is a data flag in the bitstream..bascially the DTS decoder chip in the amp does not know what to do with it when it reads it (i think the standard on some dvd's were changed slightly which screwed over some amps - I think JP3 was another problem disc)

So the amp just drops out for a second while it scratches its head and then carries on. if you see what I mean!

Matt

11. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I understand what a flag is Matt, just didn't see the relevance of flags in this instance :)

Anyway, how weird is this?

I just watched The Haunting (DTS-ES Discrete version :D ) and thought I'd try Old School again. It plays fine now :eek: Maybe my receiver just got a bit flustered and needed turning on/off? Bizarre!! :confused: