Old Receivers....Any Good?

kcguy

Novice Member
We are buying a new house and I am trying to build three new viewing areas (plus design an outside viewing area). The areas will be a main floor great room, a downstairs family room, and a master bedroom sitting room. I have two old receivers (Denon AVR-1613 and Yamaha RX-V592). Are either of these workable for any of these systems or are they basically junk? We aren't audio afficiodos..........I just want to build good systems that sound great to the untrained ear when watching tv/movies and maybe playing music. Thanks!

rccarguy2

As long as you don't need
E-arc
HDR
Auro 3d
Atmos
120hz @ 4k
7 + channels
Modern room correction

Be ok

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Old AV amps will still be able to give you audio providing you don't have them acting as HDMI hub for your system especially if those sources are newish. The problem lies with HDCP and how HDMI uses it. The old AV amps will more likely be HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 and not be able to pass through modern content which requires HDMI 2.0.

Using your TV as a hub then you would be able to access lossy SD audio via digital optical, still giving you a 5.1 surround sound from those programmes and discs that support it.

What your losing out on is the advancement in DACs from when the 1613 was built certainly. I stick with Denon as I did actually own a 16XX model and now have a far more modern Denon AV amp. As well as better DACs you'll get a superior room correction system, depending on what model you go for. The deeper you dig into your pocket Denons come equipped with Alpha Processing and the top tier models have AL32 onboard.

That's without the newer HD audio formats of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Those formats also come with metadata to be able to take advantage of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for a more immersive audio experience.

It's not so much that your old AV amps won't work, they certainly will. It's that they are not as able as the current models and fall far short of audio performance and video pass through. It's surprising how far things have moved on in the intervening years.

rccarguy2

I question whether DAC's in budget AVR's have improved so much, and whether you'd notice it on AVR's, and perhaps engineering has gone down (only have to look at awful digital side of reviews)

Say if you had a AVR and could "drop in" DAC's that are 10 years old and new...

Better SQ/DAC more noticeable towards seperates.

Dobbyisfree

I question whether DAC's in budget AVR's have improved so much, and whether you'd notice it on AVR's, and perhaps engineering has gone down (only have to look at awful digital side of reviews)

Say if you had a AVR and could "drop in" DAC's that are 10 years old and new...

Better SQ/DAC more noticeable towards seperates.

In "direct" mode, these were the findings of my ears with these AVRs in this post, although each has a different internal pre and power amp I am switching directly between external DAC (in CD player) and internal DAC:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom