Old Question Audio Settings???

Nacla

Standard Member
Hi
What settings on the PS3 to get DolbyDigital from a PS3 Game (ie Rainbow Six L V )

Many Thanks Guys And Gals
:clap::clap:

ThuGLy

very vague matey what amp and how are you connected?

james.miller

turn off all the multi channel pcm options in the ps3's audio setup screen.

It's probably the amp settings that you want to adjust. You should have various options on it for different playback modes.

Uridium

If you want the PS3 to send DD 5.1 or DTS instead of PCM Multichannel to your Onkyo uncheck all of the 7.1 and 5.1 PCM options in the PS3 audio settings.

your right in thinking this will stop you getting HD Audio soundtracks from BluRay movies but is easily sorted by opening the audio options and switching soundtracks during BluRay playback

So if you select PCM via the remote this overides the audio settings in XMB so you can use the HD audio format (even without PCM being selected in XMB) :confused:

(Hope that made sense) :)

Obviusly not for Dolby True HD / DTS-MA/HD tracks as the core will be streamed.

If you want the PS3 to send DD 5.1 or DTS instead of PCM Multichannel to your Onkyo uncheck all of the 7.1 and 5.1 PCM options in the PS3 audio settings.

your right in thinking this will stop you getting HD Audio soundtracks from BluRay movies but is easily sorted by opening the audio options and switching soundtracks during BluRay playback

BradleyLove

Novice Member
Hi
What settings on the PS3 to get DolbyDigital from a PS3 Game (ie Rainbow Six L V )

Many Thanks Guys And Gals
:clap::clap:
If your amp is showing multi-channel PCM then you're getting the correct sound.

Some PS3 games (most actually) will output in PCM if they can. This does not mean you're getting uncompressed PCM, it just means the conversion to Dolby Digital is not taking place as that's not necessary.

With Guitar Hero Metallica as an example, this is a great thing. DD in GH:M introduces lag. Output as multi-channel PCM you still get the surround sound but without the lag! :thumbsup:

Other games, like Rockband, only do DD and won't output as PCM.

So to summarise, if it's saying MPCM, then stay with it! :smashin:

Uridium

So if you select PCM via the remote this overides the audio settings in XMB so you can use the HD audio format (even without PCM being selected in XMB) :confused:

(Hope that made sense) :)

Obviusly not for Dolby True HD / DTS-MA/HD tracks as the core will be streamed.
Yes.

Uridium

If your amp is showing multi-channel PCM then you're getting the correct sound.

Some PS3 games (most actually) will output in PCM if they can. This does not mean you're getting uncompressed PCM, it just means the conversion to Dolby Digital is not taking place as that's not necessary.

With Guitar Hero Metallica as an example, this is a great thing. DD in GH:M introduces lag. Output as multi-channel PCM you still get the surround sound but without the lag! :thumbsup:

Other games, like Rockband, only do DD and won't output as PCM.

So to summarise, if it's saying MPCM, then stay with it! :smashin:
Nearly all games carry BOTH an Uncompressed PCM soundtrack and both legacy 5.1 (DD or DTS) and Stereo soundtracks for back compatibility. a Few (not many) only have the encoded 5.1 and stereo tracks.

If you have the 5.1/7.1 PCM options enabled and are connected to a compatible HDMI receiver the PS3 will output the uncompressed PCM track. If you are connected via a non HDMI method it will output the DD/DTS or stereo soundtracks. the PS3 doesn't 'convert' the PCM soundtrack to these formats they are stored on the disc seperately.

BradleyLove

Novice Member
Nearly all games carry BOTH an Uncompressed PCM soundtrack and both legacy 5.1 (DD or DTS) and Stereo soundtracks for back compatibility. a Few (not many) only have the encoded 5.1 and stereo tracks.

If you have the 5.1/7.1 PCM options enabled and are connected to a compatible HDMI receiver the PS3 will output the uncompressed PCM track. If you are connected via a non HDMI method it will output the DD/DTS or stereo soundtracks. the PS3 doesn't 'convert' the PCM soundtrack to these formats they are stored on the disc seperately.
Sorry but you're wrong.

PS3 games do not have "multiple soundtracks"; there's no need to. There is one set of sound files on the BD-Rom. Now depending upon the capabilities of your reciever (or in other words, what your PS3 sound settings are), each PS3 game will choose the most optimum way to output this sound.

So for example, MGS4 chooses to output in PCM. Resident Evil 5 chooses to output in Dolby Digital 5.1. Soul Calibur 4 chooses PCM, as does Dead Space and Guitar Hero: Metallica.

All the sound files are levelled, positioned (from 2.0 up to 5.1/7.1) and then output through the relevant sound engine, be that DD5.1, DTS or PCM.

This is not to say the original source files are uncompressed 44Khz 24-bit sound files however. Sony's First Party titles support uncompressed PCM (Killzone 2, Uncharted, Warhawk, etc) though.

If we could compare the disc image sizes of Dead Space on 360 (which only supports DD5.1) with the PS3 version (that outputs in PCM), I'd be reasonably confident saying they're very similar in size which would prove the lack of uncompressed PCM.

So when you see the MPCM light appear on your amp, that does not mean it's uncompressed PCM - just that the Dolby Digital engine is being bypassed.

Uridium

Your right I am talking poo. I was thinking about BR Movies.

iirc PS3 game discs all have the Audio stored as LPCM as it's easier to mix with video in-game than DTS or AC3. LPCM is then output as is if you are connected via HDMI and have relevant boxes checked in audio settings or encoded and sent as AC3/DTS if you have an optical connection. If the PS3 audio settings are just set to stereo then it is downmixed to PL2 and output as stereo.

I agree though if you can get PCM through your receiver stick with it. The only thing you are missing by not getting DD/DTS on your amp is the light.

Last edited:

Nacla

Standard Member
My question at the start of this thread was to with` Rainbow Six Las Vegas`
on the box its marked Dolby Digital but when output via HDMI to my LX60 all that comes up on the screen is DOLBY PROII not PCM or Dolby Dig!!!!!:lease::lease::lease:

Nacla

james.miller

By Turning them to off will this effect Blu Ray play Back Audio?

Nacla
yep, but its the only way to force the ps3 to output DD/DTS instead of LPCM for games that dont allow you to set it manually.

BradleyLove

Novice Member
My question at the start of this thread was to with` Rainbow Six Las Vegas`
on the box its marked Dolby Digital but when output via HDMI to my LX60 all that comes up on the screen is DOLBY PROII not PCM or Dolby Dig!!!!!:lease::lease::lease:

Nacla
So do you have your PS3 connected to your TV via HDMI, and then optical out (or HDMI out) to an AV Amp?

Please tell me how you have your PS3, TV and AV Amp connected together and maybe I can help you.

Nacla

Standard Member
My PS3 is coupled to my amp by HDMI, the amp is coupled to my screen by HDMI also.

Nacla

BradleyLove

Novice Member
My PS3 is coupled to my amp by HDMI, the amp is coupled to my screen by HDMI also.

Nacla
So to clarify is it set up like this?

PS3 > HDMI > Amp > HDMI > TV

or is it?

PS3 > HDMI > TV > HDMI > AMP

BradleyLove

Novice Member
Its

PS3 > HDMI > Amp > HDMI > TV

mate
Can you say what's checked in the PS3 audio settings? And do you get DD from other games? Is it just R6V that you have this problem with?

Nacla

Standard Member
Hi,
Did have everything ticked after picking manual set up, but now only the boxes that are choosen under automatic set up. No all games seem to be the same!!!

Willie:lease:

BradleyLove

Novice Member
If you do automatic audio set up, can you tell me exactly what boxes are ticked?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton