Old plasma connectivity question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by paul-saab, Feb 3, 2009.

1. paul-saab

paul-saab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I've also posted this in the SKY HD section cos it crosses over both forums I think...

As a new customer I've decided to go for Sky's recent £49 etc HD deal.

Problem is, my current plasma (being an old one) has no HDMI connection like the Sky box does. This plasma will be upgraded in the near future but at the moment I would like to get the best out of it as while it still works the missus is putting a block on an upgrade!

Its an LG MZ42PZ44 with a resolution of 852x480. It has DVI-D, component video, s-video, VGA and composite input connections. Currently I have a Netgem freeview box connected via component outputs to the plasma (through av amp) and to be honest the picture is pretty good. DVD player is connected by component also and it displays a cracking picture for an old plasma.

My questions are: Will I be able to use an HDMI to DVI converter plug to connect the Sky HD to the TV? Will the output resolution (480p, 720p or whatever the sky box sends out) work with the DVI-D input on the TV? Will I run into any issues regarding HDCP? And do the new Sky HD boxes have S-Video outputs?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. alffjeld

alffjeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    you should be able to use a dvi - hdmi cable.
    but what settings you will have to use in the sky-box regarding to resolution, i dont know, dont have a sky-box.
    edit: looks like you need to set the skybox to 480p, if that helps?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    If you request a SKy HD box with component output you can use component which should work at 720p or 1080i