1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Pioneer Rear Projection Tv-rgb Input Problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Nick Beal, May 30, 2005.

1. Nick Beal

Nick Beal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to revive my old Pioneer CRT Rear Projection TV.Model SD-T5000,
    (the Zebra modified version).This still works fine on the composite and S-VHS inputs.However,when I attempt to connect in RGB via the AV1 Scart input(from Digibox or DVD Player) there is a stable picture but noticeable static vertical patterning which I cannot seem to lose.Monochrome images also seem to have a greenish tint.
    The manual says about the AV1 Scart input 'This socket contains RGB Video inputs,Seperate video (S-VIDEO) inputs,composite video inputs,tuner video and audio outputs'.Does this carry the implication that it will provide a better result if I connect via a video only RGB Scart and input the audio seperately?
    Has anybody who has played around with one of these antiquated boxes
    any suggestions? :lease:

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    I've got one and it's recently died :(

Before it died though I too was having trouble with the RGB scart and it turned out to be a dry joint on the scart socket itself. Wiggling the plug would make the screen go all blue or all yellow. After much aggravation I finally managed to reach the backside of the board it's soldered to and re-did all the solder connections. Took a lot of unscrewing and messing about to get all the back off and the covering panels out of the way. Didn't think it would go back, but it did and it was lovely for a month. You could wiggle the scart plug to your heart's content and the picture remained rock solid.

Then the blue colour gun decided it would lurch to the right about a foot and no amount of playing with the convergence set-up would bring it back. Pioneer put me onto Babber Electronics as their official repairers. They decided that the SDKs (whatever they are) needed replacing and that the TV would then need to be completely re-aligned again. The bill was expected to be (at £80 an hour) over £500, so I'm afraid it's going to have to go in the skip. It's just not worth spending all that money for something so old and out of date. I needed to change it soon anyway to get ready for HiDef so this has just forced my hand.

The next question is what to replace it with? Do I go for another RPTV or go the whole hog and get a front projector? Tricky deciding.

Regards

Mark

3. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Moved from CRT Projectors forum