1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Pioneer 505 plays dvd-r – New Sony 900 doesn't

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matthew Attoe, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi guys,

I've got a dvd-r burnt on a Mac via a Pioneer a04 drive.

It plays fine on my 4-year old Pioneer 505 which I was very, very surprised about, especially as it wouldn't play any cd-r at all!!!!

Got my Sony dvp-900 today and tried the same disc in it and it refused to play, saying "cannot play this disc".

Looked on the Apple website which lists players as either "yes", "no" or "marginal" when it somes to playing dvd-r. Most Sony's are okay except the S-3000 and S-7000. The 900 isn't even listed.

I can't believe such a new player, which says it can play dvd-r / dvd-rw etc can't play a disc that a 4-year old player can!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Matthew

2. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry,

Also meant to add the Sony 900 has the Techtronics Enterprise Multimod Plus upgrade. Could this be something to do with it? Be surprised if it was, as I thought their upgrades were suppoed to be the best!

Matthew

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

A DVD players ability to play CD-R discs has no revelance at all to whether it will play DVD-R discs. CD-R discs have a lower reflectivity than pressed CDs so some players have problems, however DVD-R discs reflectivity is in the same range as a pressed DVD. Other issues prevent DVD-Rs from being played.

The Sony 900 is advertised as being able to play DVD-Rs, if it doesn't it is faulty and you can get a refund or exchange, so do not worry.

However, the DVD-R you have tried may not be authored correctly. Some DVD players may be more relaxed about out of spec format than others.

How was the DVD-R authored? What software was used? Does the video fill the entire disc? Can you try a different DVD-R?

Regards

Philip

4. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have tried another disc, burnt in the same way, which was...

Extracted using dvdextractor which basically makes an image of the original dvd.

Burnt using Toast 5.13 on a Mac G4/500 using a fireware-driven Pioneer A04.

A friend has tried both disks in his pioneer 707 and they worked okay nhis.

This may now be a moot point, as I was having a proper read through the manual today, and it says that some dvd-r may not play, depending on the quality of the the recording, quality of the disc, etc... which leads me to believe it may just be the poor quality of the blank dvd-r's i used,; they were just unbranded ones that were laying about at work. Perhaps if i used a proper brand like TDK, Philips or similiar I may have better results.

Any further ideas anyone.

Thanks for all the help so far,

Matthew

5. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i have a sony 900 and it plays dvd-r every time, it must be how your copys are done ???

the disks i have are 'Infiniti professional' DVD-R 4.7 Gb

6. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Baggy69,

I think it just may be low quality media... in fact I'm pretty sure it is!

Where do you get your dvd-r from and how much are they, if you don't mind me asking?

Many thanks,

Matthew

7. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    around £4.50 from computer shows.

8. BigDG

BigDG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have Sony 900 and it plays every dvdr i throw at it excellent results from TRAXDATA's at £2 each and even the cheap BULKPAQ dvdr's work great and they now only cost 52p each(bargain)