• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Old Philips box or new £30 box?

MaxMaz

Standard Member
I currently have an old Philips OnDigital box that I am using for Freeview. The reception is a bit dodgy sometimes and I was wondering whether it would be worth buying a new box for £30 or whether it is purely a problem with the reception.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
MM

ush flynn

Prominent Member
more likely the arial, my philips one is terrible with the arial i have in the attic, it used to just get worse and worse then cut out, had to turn it off for a while. When i unplugged it and put the feed back into the tv the image although not as colourful or crisp, was more stable. Since then i have hooked up our main Rooftop arial and things have improved greatly. Dont bother with a new unit unless you need recording or extra features

bu5ter

Established Member
Hi Im still using my Philips ondigital box and to be honest the build is better than most of the cheap freeviews available. The only thing missing really are the new tv guide etc but thats not the end of the world as there arent enough channels to worry about it.

The signal hsould make no difference if it breaks up its your reception full stop. maybe try a booster or a bigger better aerial?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom