Old person + Voice control = comedy gold

Jules

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my 81 year old mum a Google Home a few weeks ago because she absolutely cannot use a computer or even a tablet.

And its genuinely useful for her to set timers and ask it for phone numbers or what the whether will be like tomorrow etc. I'm actually surprised how much she likes it.

However, has anyone ever listened to an old person trying to interract with voice control devices? Its hilarious...

For example, she was getting clever and trying to ask it how to get from A - B by train.
The amazing thing is that the google home gives genuinely useful information when you get the question right, but listening to my mum made me wonder how the hell Google developed its assistant to work as it does.

This is roughly how it sounded:

Mum:
Hello Mrs Google... oh, I mean hey google (long pause), if its not too much trouble, please could you tell me how to get to Reading from Manchester.

Google:
The fastest way to reading by car is via the M6 and it will take approximately 3hours 20 minutes.

Mum:
Thank you. Oh, wait..no I mean by train please.

Google:
SILENT

Mum:
Oh... erm, Hey google.. I mean by train please, thanks.

Google
Sorry I don't understand

Mum
Hey google. what was it again, ermm, could you tell me how to travel to reading by train please... thank you.

Its amazing to me that this system actually understands what she's saying most of the time... with all the pleasantries, hesitation and unplanned sentence structure. But its also quite amusing to listen to.

Unlike the rest of us who have long since descended into yelling abuse at it ;)

Yeah, it's just not natural for me.

I guess a lot of people on hear agree judging by the amount of Dot's /Echo's smart speakers for sale in the classifieds

Personally, I think the 'always on' Google assistant in particular (not so much Alexa) is something that elderly, blind or disabled people should be given the chance to try for free. I can really see this device proving a life saver as it develops.

From what I've seen, the Google assistant is better at pulling information from the internet, better at interpreting. and more conversational than Alexa.

Its very rewarding listening to my mum ask Google the phone number for her local pharmacy, or to ask it to remind her about her doctors appointment next week. Even the most basic of things like setting a timer to stop her forgetting to take her dinner out of the oven are extremely valuable features.

IMO, voice control is now sufficiently affordable and potentially life saving that local authorities should be considering them as part of a community care package.

I'm not elderly but I am very much mobility impaired at the moment, I broke my ankle badly at the beginning of January so I've had screws and metalwork in my ankle and I'm fully none weight bearing which is an utter pain.
My Google Homes and Hue in the majority of my house are really proving to be a godsend while I hobble around the house on a pair of crutches and it's also been useful for stuff like reminding me to take the various drugs I've been prescribed. I loved the convenience before but it's almost become a necessity at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom