Old Pannys v New Pannys

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MikeNolan, Mar 6, 2005.

1. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the last couple of months I've been debating getting an E85, and have seen the prices drop from £450+ now down to £299. The reason I am going for the E85 is that I know I can also record some NTSC video tapes. Does anyone know if the Panny replacement for this machine offer the same facility? Also, do these new models have EPG. And I guess that as these new machines will be 3rd/4th generation machines, they will be more stable than the previous models. You see, I still read mixed reviews on this forum about problems with DVD recorders, and I certainly don't want the wife saying "You never had any problems with the video!!"
    Thanks

2. DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny E55 will record from an NTSC VHS tape to DVD; or indeed from an NTSC DVD to DVD.
    I do this fairly often as some of my source material is NTSC.
    You just change the type in the settings menu.
    The thing to remember is that on a VHS tape you can have both NTSC and PAL material.
    A DVD can only be NTSC or PAL.

3. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed.
    They are damn stable now, I've had no problems at all with my DMR-E85 or E100 at all. The new ES rage have the same facilities, but have subtle extras such as full resolution Long Play recordings.
    EPG wise, the analogue tuner models use a manual or Video+ timer, or External Link timer from a set top box, but the new Freeview tuner models will have a 7 day Freeview EPG.

4. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AVMaster - does this mean there will be a need for a Freeview Box. I have Sky+ and I just love the EPG on it. Recording is so simple. Will the new Panny's work in the same way? I don't want to have to get another box. If I'm still going to be stuck with setting dates and times etc, I might as well go for an E85, and save the money.
    Thanks

5. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The EPG from most Digiboxes (including Sky+) use either External Link 1 or 2 which all Panasonic recorders support. This means that you can use your Program Planner (or what ever it's called to tell the DVD recorder what program to record. All you need to do is connect the SKY box to AV2 on the DVD recorder & set the recorder functions/setup/connections menu to External Link 1 on AV2.