1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old or new?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by MonkeyNutz, Mar 19, 2005.

1. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I hope people dont mind I`ve cross posted this from another thread as I thought I`d get a better response here:

I`ve been looking into getting a decent sound system for my TV. I cant decide whether to get a good quality 2nd handsystem or a new system. In particular I was looking at a brand new Yamaha RXV650RDS which I`m hearing good things about, but now I`m tempted by an old Arcam Diva AVR 100 which Ive seen going cheap. Could anybody give me any advice on which is the better??

Whilst I`m a complete novice at the home cinema thing I do like good quality audio.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

2. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I thought I`d give you some more information on my position as the original post was a little vague.

I`m going to be using an Arcam Diva DV78 DVD Player as my source.
    The system will be replacing my aging NAD stereo system. So I want it to sound at least as good as that for CD playback. Will the yamaha amp be up to the job?

Also for watching films will the higher quality arcam running in dolby digital or DTS sound better than the yamaha running in the more modern ES or EX modes?

Also I havnt chosen my speakers yet, can anyone recomend any about the £300 pound range (it doesnt matter whether they are new or second hand)

I know the answer is kinda based on individual taste but I`m new to home cinema and any pointers in the right direction would be great.

thanks

3. Tee Jay

Tee Jay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Monkeynutz, I'm currently using an AVR100 and would reccomend it. NAD kit is good but this is definitely a step up, the good thing about Arcam kit is it delivers the goods with movies & music. I'm currently running my reciever with Mission '77' series speakers with good results. It's worth listening to Mish spkrs with Arcam as they seem to compliment each other. The AVR200 is the exactly the same spec as the '100' but with pro logicII (not worth worrying about at this stage (or later) I'd say buy the Arcam & audition some spkrs, if budget allows upgrade the mains cable for the reciever & work from there, good luck, TJ.

4. Member 231429

Member 231429

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I seem to recollect that the AVR100 does not have the speaker management that the AVR200 has. Mainly you do not have the option of running the AVR100 without a subwoofer and directing that channel to your fronts.

5. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd hand/ex dem all the way mate! Check out how much I have saved:

RRP / PAID
    ARCAM A90: £850 / £600 (ex dem)
    ARCAM P90/3: £550 / £300 (ex dem)
    ARCAM DV89: £1300 / £400 (2nd hand)

B&W NAUTILUS 805: £1400 / £1000 (ex dem)

2 X 2 KIMBER KABLE 8TC: £454 / £250 (2nd hand)
    INTERCONNECT £300 / £100 (2nd hand)
    --------------------------------------------
    £4854 / £2650
    --------------------------------------------

So I've saved a total of £2204, the oldest item is 8 months old (DV89), everything is in 100% imaculate condition. Hunt down those bargains man, I see no point buying new it's way over priced, unless you have money to burn. Plasma is next!!

6. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies :)

I`m definately going to go the second hand route now, I had a look around and there are some bargains out there. Although the arcam gear does seem to hold its value well compared to others.

The speaker management doesnt seem a problem as I`ll be getting a sub anyway, however will this affect the cd playing ability of the sytem?

I`ll also give some mission speakers an audition too.

Thanks again.