1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Onkyo amplified turntable to receiver input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Yohanan, Dec 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Yohanan

Yohanan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, newbie here!

I have a 30 year old Onkyo system with turntable and radio, which I like a lot and sounds superb for LP playing, and, since it´s a complete system, it´s outputs are already amplified.

You can see it HERE

The question is:

Is it possible, or is there any problem, in connecting the already amplified output of this old system to a receiver like Yamaha v450/v650?

Thanks for your help

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

Are you trying to connect it, for multichannel sound or just to utilise your stereo speakers?

3. Yohanan

Yohanan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to use the front speakers connected to the receiver, so I wouldn´t need to have another pair of speakers laying around just for this old system.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    How were you planning to connect the Onyko system and receiver? Does the system not have any line-outs that you could use?

5. Yohanan

Yohanan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Onkyo system only has the speaker line-outs (bare wire connection), so I would connect them into one of the receiver´s stereo inputs.

I know I could install a switch between the Onkyo system, the receiver and the front speakers, so I could use the speakers for both, but I´m afraid that will represent a loss in sound quality.

What I really want to know is if it would do any harm to the receiver if I connect an already amplified source to one of its stereo inputs. I just don´t have the knowledge of what happens when an already amplified source is connected to a receiver.

6. Yohanan

Yohanan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone...