• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Old Nikon question

mij

Prominent Member
I am considering getting either a cheap Nikon D50 or D70 or D70s and wondered how the picture quality would compare to my Nikon D40?

Am I right to think there would be no major difference?

fyonn

Established Member
There should be no major difference, in fact the sensor in all four cameras is very similar.

I've got a D50 and it's capable of making some great photo's (if I only I were!)

mij

Prominent Member
There should be no major difference, in fact the sensor in all four cameras is very similar.

I've got a D50 and it's capable of making some great photo's (if I only I were!)

I know that feeling :)

I have been given a few Nikon AF lenses that will not autofocus on my D40 so thought this would be worth doing.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
More money but in your position I'd probably look at a D80 or even a D200 they are quite resonable second hand.

mij

Prominent Member
More money but in your position I'd probably look at a D80 or even a D200 they are quite reasonable second hand.

I did consider the D80, but on Ebay they are asking for silly money. Almost new prices for second-hand!

fyonn

Established Member
I did consider the D80, but on Ebay they are asking for silly money. Almost new prices for second-hand!

par for the course with most digital photography equipment isn't it?

it amazes me how much even pretty old lenses and camera bodies go for on the secondhand market, including ebay. I've got a D50 and while I'd love a D90 or D300, actually a D200 would still be an upgrade for me but they're in excess of £400 on ebay. that's a camera body that's out of date by one generation (nearly two by some sources) and several years old.

the nikon 50mm f1.8 is one of their cheapest and well though of lens' and I've fancied buying one, but they've what £80 brand new? why are there no second hand ones on ebay at £30?

why is all this stuff so expensive?

:)

dave

PS. of course, the market will no doubt bottom out when I want to sell my D50 :)

mij

Prominent Member
par for the course with most digital photography equipment isn't it?

it amazes me how much even pretty old lenses and camera bodies go for on the secondhand market, including ebay. I've got a D50 and while I'd love a D90 or D300, actually a D200 would still be an upgrade for me but they're in excess of £400 on ebay. that's a camera body that's out of date by one generation (nearly two by some sources) and several years old.

the nikon 50mm f1.8 is one of their cheapest and well though of lens' and I've fancied buying one, but they've what £80 brand new? why are there no second hand ones on ebay at £30?

why is all this stuff so expensive?

:)

dave

PS. of course, the market will no doubt bottom out when I want to sell my D50 :)

I am no expert, but I do not believe a lot of what I see on Ebay. I personally would rather buy new from a shop than pay a lot of the Ebay prices.

fyonn

Established Member
I am no expert, but I do not believe a lot of what I see on Ebay. I personally would rather buy new from a shop than pay a lot of the Ebay prices.

for a current model camera, I'm not sure you gain anything by buying from ebay. the prices are often so close to brand new, that you might as well buy it from jessops (or whoever) and get the guarantee and high street support.

for something that's a generation or several years old, the prices on camera gear does seem disproportionately high, especially when compared with other high tech hobbies.

one would (naively perhaps) think that 20 year old, manual focus lenses would be near worthless in this day and age, but the prices are still pretty high.

dave

mij

Prominent Member
I agree on digital cameras and look at them like computers, this years model should be better than last years. On some lenses I can see why the same logic does not apply.

As for the high second-hand prices, do they get their price? I wonder.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Had a quick look on camerapricebuster and nobody listed seems to have any D80's trying to remember whether Nikon are in the process of phasing this camera out like they did the D200. Second hand D200's seem a pretty good buy at around £450 on ebay. Best bet is to keep an eye out on the forum digital camera listings most people will offer you a better deal than ebay because of their fees.

willo

Established Member

Because len's hold there value very well as most people will change their body rather than the lens.

DaveM

Established Member
Hi,
I've got the D50 and find it a really good camera,fells good on the grip, solid and I'm informed takes very good snaps (operator error when it's in my hands) . Takes older lenses due to its in built motor drive unlike D40/60, has top LCD display.

If you're looking for D50 prices, I've been putting out the feelers for advice on what I'd get for my pristine unmarked silver/black D50 ,ave 2000 snaps taken. The guys on the forum suggest £150-175. I'd suggest that's a great price if you could get one.

I'd give Gumtree a shot. Over the last month or so I've manged to get hold of several lenses and nikon flash for smashing prices, far better than ebay and since local you can have a look before purchase.
Recently missed a D80+ 18-55vr for £250 bought Dec.
Watch out for scams though.

Dave,

fyonn

Established Member
If you're looking for D50 prices, I've been putting out the feelers for advice on what I'd get for my pristine unmarked silver/black D50 ,ave 2000 snaps taken. The guys on the forum suggest £150-175. I'd suggest that's a great price if you could get one.

I'd give Gumtree a shot. Over the last month or so I've manged to get hold of several lenses and nikon flash for smashing prices, far better than ebay and since local you can have a look before purchase.

Dave,

cheers,

I really ought not to look at replacing my D50 yet, it's not like I've tapped it's potential yet. also, I kinda want an Sb600 first :)

dave

mij

Prominent Member
Hi,
I've got the D50 and find it a really good camera,fells good on the grip, solid and I'm informed takes very good snaps (operator error when it's in my hands) . Takes older lenses due to its in built motor drive unlike D40/60, has top LCD display.

Dave,

Thank you, I did not know about Gumtree.

fyonn

Established Member
Hmm.. apparently someone on gumtree in Manchester is selling a brand new D3 for £500.. surely that's got to be a scam?

DaveM

Established Member
I've been sucked in by a couple of low prices for camera gear, advertising as local but is actually in London/Manchester, once you contact them and show an interest they remove the advert and then ask for payment through ebay invoices.

if it looks too good to be true then generally it is.

fyonn

Established Member
I've been sucked in by a couple of low prices for camera gear, advertising as local but is actually in London/Manchester, once you contact them and show an interest they remove the advert and then ask for payment through ebay invoices.

if it looks too good to be true then generally it is.

yes, I enquired and the guy came back talking about ebay invoices, immediately raises my "scam" alert system (even more than it was before). after all, if we're both in manchester, why not just meet up and hand over some notes. hell, we could even meet at the bank if he felt unsure!

ahh well, I didn't want a D3 anyway! <sniff>

dave

mij

Prominent Member
Well I have gone around & around in circles and have decided to wait for a cheap D80 or D200 (Less than Ebay prices), so if anyone has one :)

fyonn

Established Member
Well I have gone around & around in circles and have decided to wait for a cheap D80 or D200 (Less than Ebay prices), so if anyone has one :)

which raises the question of which is better, a second hand D200, or a brand new D90?

jomike

Prominent Member
which raises the question of which is better, a second hand D200, or a brand new D90?

Depends on your needs.

The D200 is bigger, heavier and more ruggedly built than the D90. It has a slightly faster frame rate (5fps v 4.5fps) and a larger buffer. It also has some pro features such as mirror lock up and flash synch socket that the more consumer oriented D90 lacks.

The D90 has better high ISO low noise capability, bigger higher resolution LCD, live view and HD movie mode. The jpegs probably look better straight from the camera, but not much difference if you shoot RAW.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom