Old multi strand BT line into house - who is responsible for upgrade?

ckra1000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Recenty moved into an old property. The house does not have a BT Master socket. Inspecting the cable from the nearest pole to the house, it is multi strand (white, orange, black and green) where entering a weather proof junction box before connecting to a similar cable into the telephone socket inside the house.

I was expecting to see a two strand wire from BT entering the junction box.

Would upgrading to a two wire from the BT pole give better broadband performance? The disctance from the pole to the house is approx. 200 metres.

Who would be responsible for the upgrade? Me or BT?

Thanks for any help/advise.
Chris.

First of all are you sure that you do not have Master Socket? You say that the wire enters a Telephone Socket. Is that not a Master Socket?

Second I don't see anything odd with the wiring to your premises. Two pairs in those colours seems perfectly normal to me. By "multi strand" do you mean that the cable has four conductors (wires). Which is not multi-strand or flex as it is often known it is rather multi conductor.

Is the cabling actually giving a problem? If so what is it?

Apologies and thanks for the reply.

The first socket in the house is not an NTE5 type socket. Inside the house the BT wire connects to a 2inch by 4inch box labelled G.P.O. and there is a small extension box wired just above this which the telephone plug into.

We are 3Km from the exchange. I have used an internet site link provided elsewhere on avforums which shows I should get a steady 1Meg and up to 3Meg on my broadband connection.

Using TalkTalks speedcheck internet site, I actually get between 0.5Meg and 1.0Meg max.

We are connected to Freesat. I'd like to be able to use BBC iPlayer through a Humax Foxsat HDR in future, but don't think my current line speed will allow. To use iPlayer on-ine (or Youtube for that matter) I have to download the program first. Trying to watch it without a download stutters along with numerous pauses.

So I'm trying to see what might be the bottleneck.

Any advice much appreciated.
Chris.

First of all disconnect any extensions from the Master Socket. (The one right after the GPO junction box.) This will eliminate your Internal Wiring (which you are responsible for ) as source of the problem.

Now try your speed test again with tht router plugged into tht Master Socket. If you see no or only a marginal improvement, call you ISP. Your Broadband connection and speed is their responsibility, not BT's. You many need to be firm with them because they will need to call Openreach and ISPs often do not like doing that due to cost.

If/when Openreach arrive ideally get them to replace the GPO junction box and the existing Master Socket with an NET5.

Many thanks. I'll get on with that today.

Can a NET5 socket be fitted when there are 4 conductors/4 wires coming to the house? I thought NET5 sockets needed a 2 wire connection.

you have 4 conductors coming into the house 2 for you phone line and 2 spare, just in case you want a second line for another phone or a fax.

Thanks so much for your help.

Have wired a new master socket to the cable coming into the house and TalkTalk site sppedcheck now reads an unbelievable 4415 kbps download, 556kbps upload.

Wow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom