Old Movie Review & Comments

Just got back from seeing this. Perfect review, echos my thoughts entirely.

Bit disappointed to see it warrants as low a score, but cheers anyhow.

At least after reading your review I can go in knowing to expect some bonkers!

I enjoyed Abby Lee’s ‘suspiria’ moment.
Almost redeemed the movie single-handedly.

That they showed this but current away from Kara's fall (which was also really effective) if you showed them side by side I think you'd have trouble convincing someone it wasn't two different movies.

Just from the Trailer, I see what you mean about the lines the actors....."speak". I think I found out how they produced such a unique sentence stayle

1627114865358.png

Good review Tom even if it is disappointing to hear M. Night has directed another mediocre film. I used to look forward to watching his films but haven’t even bothered with the last few, including Split & Glass, even though I loved Unbreakable. I thought this one looked promising but looks like I might be giving it a miss too. I actually didn’t mind the Village but after The Happening, The Last Airbender and After Earth I gave up (maybe wrongly) making a point of catching his films.

Good review Tom even if it is disappointing to hear M. Night has directed another mediocre film. I used to look forward to watching his films but haven’t even bothered with the last few, including Split & Glass, even though I loved Unbreakable. I thought this one looked promising but looks like I might be giving it a miss too. I actually didn’t mind the Village but after The Happening, The Last Airbender and After Earth I gave up (maybe wrongly) making a point of catching his films.
Split is quite surprisingly enjoyable throughout. The Visit is a bit of a thematic mess but, like this, it's conceptually pretty good...still screws up the ending though.
Glass is basically rubbish.

His best movie for me was Signs. I might rewatch it later this evening, not seen it for years.

My thoughts on Old this morning haven’t gotten any better. So many things didn’t make sense to me. I don’t need spoon feeding answers but I did find a lot of it annoying.

The rapper - was his name really Mid-Sized Sedan or do I need a hearing check? He was on the island before the rest turned up - but he didn’t seem to age? There was the joke about everyone else wishing they were black but I felt it was a cheap way to not delve more in to his story.

Too many scenes there purely for shock value for me too. The pregnancy I found to just be plain weird.

His best movie for me was Signs. I might rewatch it later this evening, not seen it for years.

My thoughts on Old this morning haven’t gotten any better. So many things didn’t make sense to me. I don’t need spoon feeding answers but I did find a lot of it annoying.

The rapper - was his name really Mid-Sized Sedan or do I need a hearing check? He was on the island before the rest turned up - but he didn’t seem to age? There was the joke about everyone else wishing they were black but I felt it was a cheap way to not delve more in to his story.
Mid-Size Sedan made me laugh out loud. Good joke M.N.S. Bonus points for that.

I really like Signs as well. Great pacing, acting, a script with real people sentences...

Most overrated director on the planet, still living off his first 3 films, although split was actually pretty good.

Shamalangadingdong is one of those directors I'd like to be hit by hard times and not be able to merely bang out, what often feel like; that'll do in the off-the-wall-stakes, to make enough to survive to the next unspeakable nonsense.
So, cheers for not making me further consider leaving the dome to go see this one, Tom.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, not his best work, but it's great to see a director making what he wants, rather than churn out another sequel/reboot etc.
Contrary to popular belief, I thought Split was good, not as good as the superb Unbreakable, but Glass was a real treat, so unexpectedly good, loved it.

Yeah I think some people are being quite hard on Split and Glass, they are thoroughly enjoyable. Devil was also good too even though he was just the writer. Unbreakable and Sixth sense are modern day classics.

Too many scenes there purely for shock value for me too. The pregnancy I found to just be plain weird.
Agree with the rapper plot gap that never was explained.
It held my attention while it was on, but over all very meh. Wobbly acting and characters weren’t strong enough or realistic enough for it to pull at the heartstrings. Felt simultaneously overblown and under cooked as a result. I think the last MNS film I truly loved was The Village, need to see that again soon, it’s been to long.
4/10

Booked in at 4pm, if it's no good I'll live with it, used my limitless and 02 free Monday ticket..

Just got back from seeing it and this review is absolutely on point.

The concept is good with plenty of potential, just such poor execution. I felt embarrassed for a seasoned actor like Rufus Sewell having to recite the crap written for him in the script. Definition of 'on the nose'. In years to come, film schools will use the script for Old to demonstrate how not to write dialogue. Characters paper thin, all just placeholders to fit a scene or two before they are discarded.

And again, as Tom said in his review, the shot choices and blocking of scenes is straight up bizarre. Plot points just happened without any kind of ceremony or build up.

I'm a big Shyamalan fan, but Old makes After Earth look like Citizen Kane compared to this.

EDIT: Okay it wasn't as bad as After Earth, what was I thinking.

3/10 (marks purely for the concept)

Last edited:
So do we have the crown wrested from Star Wars Episode 1 and 2 for "worst dialogue writing ever" or are they still king of the poop pile? Some of MSN's early films were very good but Signs was comically bad. I mean c'mon. Aliens fatally allergic to water invade a planet that is covered in the stuff and is inhabited by organisms who are mostly water. Oh and it rains quite a bit too. The only dumber aliens are the ones in Battleship but at least it was silly fun. I quite liked The Village. It had a sort of Wickerman meets the Truman Show vibe that really shouldn't work but did.

The Feature Films of M Night: From Best to Worst
A Definitive List

1. Sixth Sense
2. Split
3. The Visit
4. Unbreakable
5. The Village
6. Signs
7. Old
8. Glass
9. Wide Awake
10. After Earth
11. Lady in the Water
12. The Last Airbender
13. The Happening

I'd go..

1. Sixth Sense (9.5/10)
2. Signs (8.5/10)
3. Split (7.5/10)
4. Unbreakable (7.5/10)
5. The Visit (6/10)
6. The Village (6/10)
7. Glass (4/10)
8. Old (3/10)
9. The Happening (3/10)
10. Lady in the Water (2/10)
11. After Earth (1/10)

Was a little too hasty saying After Earth was a much better film than Old, now I've calmed down I've reverted to sense. Old is still poor though. Haven't seen Wide Awake or Last Airbender.

If we're including Servant (his TV show), that's a solid 9/10 for the first season, 7/10 the second season.

I'd go
1. Sixth Sense
2. Signs
3. The Village
5. Lady in the Water
11. The Last Airbender
12. After Earth
13. The Happening

Haven't seen the rest, but solid on my last 3 so know the others would be better. Especially solid on 13:-

Thought Unbreakable would be higher in people's lists, that's a very close second to Sixth Sense for me. I gave up on his films after not enjoying The Village, and only came back for Split and Glass.

Glass was a real disappointment after Split, which was great.

Cheers for the review, this looks good on the trailer to be fair. A director with vision and some talent but can't quite hold it together for a whole film.

One thing I should add, the sound mix on this was incredible, made full use of all the channels. The 4K disc (with atmos presumably) will be splendid, if you enjoyed the film of course.

Thought Unbreakable would be higher in people's lists, that's a very close second to Sixth Sense for me. I gave up on his films after not enjoying The Village, and only came back for Split and Glass.

Glass was a real disappointment after Split, which was great.

Cheers for the review, this looks good on the trailer to be fair. A director with vision and some talent but can't quite hold it together for a whole film.

Unbreakable
The Sixth Sense
Signs
The Village
Split

Not too fussed about the others - I didn’t hate Glass but it was something different to what I had in mind.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom