Old Model Panasonic Plasma?

E

elysium

Hi,

Has anyone heard of or know anything about an old model panasonic plasma which the model number is something like WD1?
Apparantly it was one of the first models available but i don't know any other details. Is it likely to be better than a good new rear projection set?

Cheers

encaser

It probably won't be. The older ones, including this, were less good at rendering black shades, had more prob's with solarisation etc. and used a lot of electric to run.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
elysium

The Panasonic TC-42P1 was the first of the 42" display models from Panasonic in the UK.

Spec wise you are looking at 852x480, 550:1 contrast ratio and 350cd brightness.

At the time this was the best video display on the market but against the current 5 Series or recently superseded 4 Series Panasonics this looks pretty inferior on video.

I think we purchased our first TC-42P1 in 1998 for our AV hire stock and sold them around the end of 2000.

I would be wary of paying too much for one of these displays unless you know 100% it has not been in someone's AV hire stock or used daily in some corporate setting - these displays were very expensive compared with today's prices; I would maybe offer £500 for one of these units tops!

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom