Old midrange DVD Player vs new budget Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by spencer_uk, Sep 1, 2005.

1. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi,

I have a pretty old Pioneer DVD 636...which I don't think has even got composite out / progressive scan. I have now got an HDMI compatible TV and the DVD player is hooked up via SCART so I don't think it is providing me with the best of pictures. It is also pretty noisy. I was wondering how an older mid-range DVD player would compare to a budget DVD player of today, with all its connectivity options including HDMI. I know that in hi-fi terms a budget CD player is still unlikely to sound as good a mid-range equipment from a few years ago however is it the same with DVD players? Will I get a better picture from a sub £150 dvd player? Has anyone got a recommendation for the best player out there?

Thanks,
    Spencer.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    If the display has component connections try out the Pioneer 575 from Richer sounds...PJ :)

3. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks. Do you think that I'll get a better picture then? I don't want to splash out the cash if the improvement is not significant. Also I hear that via an HDMI socket it should upscale to 720 or 1080. What is the quality like in this process in a budget player?

4. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Spencer - Have a look at the Oppo thread. An Oppo is about £150 - £160, is that your idea of budget?

5. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I upgraded two weeks ago from a Toshiba SD100E (bought 5 years ago for £230 when full retail was £400) to a Pioneer 575 (£99.99 from Richer Sounds).

Picture via Scart is definitely superior on the Pioneer. I guess the picture quality would take a further leap forward if I had a tv with component inputs. The Pioneer is also quieter, more user friendly, better looking and will play SACD discs. Overall, delighted with my upgrade from an older mid-range player to a newer cheaper model. It's incredible what £100 gets you these days.

Hope this helps.

Mark

6. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    So if i changed my old Wharfedale 750 player (bought umpteen years ago for £180 - practically the cheapest player at the time!) i'd also be in for a pleasent surprise if i got hold of the Pioneer 575....

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    More than surprised. I gave my parents my old 750 (£180 from Tesco if my memory serves me right) I bought the Limit 900se for £50 and it's a staggering difference. So the 575 should easily see it off.

8. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393

Indeed you are, £179.99 from Tesco's. for me:thumbsup:

Gonna try and catch a look at the 575 2morrow..

9. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi there guys,
    As a recent purchaser of a Pioneer DV-575 from Richersounds (absolute BARGAIN, IMHO), I can honestly say the picture quality using progressive scan thru my Toshiba 32ZP48p is amazing.... :thumbsup: ....
    I have read that HDMI outputs on some "budget" DVD players are not as good as the 575's prog-scan, but not having seen for any of the mentioned players for myself, cannot pass any judgement.
    Needless to say, I am more than happy with it, especially as it is multiregion, plays DVD-A and SACD (BTW, War of the worlds in 5.1 SACD sounds great).
    If your TV has prog-scan enabled component inputs, give the Pioneer-575 a try. You may be pleasantly suprised.

TTFN,
    Graham.

10. spencer_uk

spencer_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    thanks guys for your great feedback. Looks like I shall be dipping into my wallet soon. I was reading the Samsung HD850 thread and that sounded quite good. Failing that - a 575 I guess....

11. rdt123

rdt123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would also add that to many HDMI is not the ultimate in picture quality. I have fed hdmi into my 435xde from a denon A11 (dvi-hdmi), an arcam dv79 and various cheaper players. I can honestly say that a good component feed is often as good if not better. Same goes for upscaling, i still think that a 576p feed from an old arcam DV88+ is the best picture i have seen and will remain so untill hidef, which does look amazing