Old LG Plasma LG 50PV450 went BANG. Need a new 55+ Inch tv £300-500 BUDGET

TVfellow

Novice Member
Hi everyone my old LG Plasma went bang (literally), the TV was in my bedroom and was mainly used for

1) Netflix
2) Gaming (XB1/PS5)
3) Watching football (Soccer)

The new tv ideally will be 55+ and it will be used for both netflix and gaming. The bed is around 8ft from the TV stand and would ideally want

4K, HDR, high fps

Budget 300-500. 500 really is the limit!

vickster

Distinguished Member
You won’t unfortunately get good HDR performance for that budget on a new TV. Have a read of the guides for suggestions / info

vickster

Distinguished Member
See the guide. Your budget will only stretch to low tier unfortunately (and some of these models will be sold out as they have been replaced, by newer likely more costly options)

Can you access Costco, they often have good deals with extended warranties

TVfellow

Novice Member
See the guide. Your budget will only stretch to low tier unfortunately (and some of these models will be sold out as they have been replaced, by newer likely more costly options)

Can you access Costco, they often have good deals with extended warranties
Yes i have access to Costco, what would you suggest from there?

tvdavid

see the tv I linked to if you can buy it still.

vickster

Distinguished Member

Dodgexander

What you're asking for isn't possible within your budget I'm afraid. I'd consider looking for a refurb Sony XH9505 or XH9005 from their refurb store.
See: Bargain - Sony centre direct refurbished store thread

The XH9005 is a mid tier TV, so falls short with HDR being too dim, it does however support a 120hz input.

The XH9505 is a high tier TV, which is more suitable for HDR usage, but only does 1080p 120hz, or 1440p 120hz if you have a PC.

The refresh rate of a TV, the refresh rate the TV can accept and the fps sent are 3 different things. Many games are still 60fps, therefore running 120hz isn't that beneficial.

TVfellow

Novice Member
What you're asking for isn't possible within your budget I'm afraid. I'd consider looking for a refurb Sony XH9505 or XH9005 from their refurb store.

The XH9005 is a mid tier TV, so falls short with HDR being too dim, it does however support a 120hz input.

The XH9505 is a high tier TV, which is more suitable for HDR usage, but only does 1080p 120hz, or 1440p 120hz if you have a PC.

The refresh rate of a TV, the refresh rate the TV can accept and the fps sent are 3 different things. Many games are still 60fps, therefore running 120hz isn't that beneficial.
What about fps for football games ect?

TVfellow

Novice Member

Dodgexander

How will these new tvs compare to my plasma? The plasma was great.
Overall they should be an upgrade, but will give you problems with the picture using HDR. Motion will also take some getting used too, especially if you go for a 50/60hz model and are unable to tweak motion settings in sport.

TVfellow

Novice Member
Overall they should be an upgrade, but will give you problems with the picture using HDR. Motion will also take some getting used too, especially if you go for a 50/60hz model and are unable to tweak motion settings in sport.
How can a new budget TV that is like 10+ years newer than my plasma not be an upgrade in all departments.

It is crazy

TVfellow

Novice Member
You won’t unfortunately get good HDR performance for that budget on a new TV. Have a read of the guides for suggestions / info

Hi, I have just been to a clearance shop are any of these tvs any good for the price especially when compared to online offerings.

I will be playing consoles on thr TV too so don't want huge input lag.

Hitachi 55hk6100uf - £299
Kd55x7052 pbu- £520
Samsung Qe55q70t - £750
Samsung KD55xf8096bu - £520
Panasonic- TX58gx700b - £500
Samsung au7100 - £500

vickster

Distinguished Member
Gaming TV guide here

Dodgexander

Hi, I have just been to a clearance shop are any of these tvs any good for the price especially when compared to online offerings.

I will be playing consoles on thr TV too so don't want huge input lag.

Hitachi 55hk6100uf - £299
Kd55x7052 pbu- £520
Samsung Qe55q70t - £750
Samsung KD55xf8096bu - £520
Panasonic- TX58gx700b - £500
Samsung au7100 - £500
The Samsung Q70T is the pick of that bunch but most people would pick the Sony XH9005 instead. If you are working on a tight budget consider a Sony refurb:

XH9005 really would be the minimum you want to aim for, XH9505 will be ideal.

TVfellow

Novice Member
The Samsung Q70T is the pick of that bunch but most people would pick the Sony XH9005 instead. If you are working on a tight budget consider a Sony refurb:

XH9005 really would be the minimum you want to aim for, XH9505 will be ideal.
Will Check this website out
Gaming TV guide here
Thank you

I've been looking through the TV guide,

There are 2 TVs that caught my eye, do they really punch above their weight and is there much difference between them?

Hisense 55U7Q
Hisense 58A7100

Dodgexander

The U7Q is a good option for someone who wants the best HDR picture quality for as little money as possible but its not in the same league as TVs like the Sony XH9005. The A series model is a good budget TV, if you're looking to buy a TV strictly for SDR use.

TVfellow

Novice Member
The U7Q is a good option for someone who wants the best HDR picture quality for as little money as possible but its not in the same league as TVs like the Sony XH9005. The A series model is a good budget TV, if you're looking to buy a TV strictly for SDR use.
How is the U7Q for gaming?

I thought the A series was an upgrade on the 7Q, seems not

Dodgexander

No, the A series is an even lower end TV, doesn't get as bright and has no local dimming.
Choosing a low tier TV you have to make compromises somewhere, the U7Q can get bright which is suited to modern HDR games, but it still shares same downsides as many other TVs in its class, namely motion blur close to black is poor due to a slow VA panel. This can mean in some games you get dark smearing. For the most part though its fine for most people when gaming, and there's not really any good alternatives.

If you want to avoid the motion blur close to black, or smearing. You can instead look at TVs using IPS panels like 43" and 49" LG TVs. But these also have downsides. Blacks aren't as deep, they won't look good in darker conditions but they do have less motion blur. They are also next to useless with HDR because they have poor contrast.

None of these low tier TVs really tick all the boxes, so you have to choose which compromises to make. If you don't want to make any, then really you're looking at spending more money unfortunately.

You can read about panel types here. With cheaper models Hisense/Samsung/TCL TVs tend to use VA, LG/Sony IPS. Make sure if you decide on IPS to not get a 50", because even LGs at that size are VA (49" is always IPS with LG though).

TVfellow

Novice Member
No, the A series is an even lower end TV, doesn't get as bright and has no local dimming.
Choosing a low tier TV you have to make compromises somewhere, the U7Q can get bright which is suited to modern HDR games, but it still shares same downsides as many other TVs in its class, namely motion blur close to black is poor due to a slow VA panel. This can mean in some games you get dark smearing. For the most part though its fine for most people when gaming, and there's not really any good alternatives.

If you want to avoid the motion blur close to black, or smearing. You can instead look at TVs using IPS panels like 43" and 49" LG TVs. But these also have downsides. Blacks aren't as deep, they won't look good in darker conditions but they do have less motion blur. They are also next to useless with HDR because they have poor contrast.

None of these low tier TVs really tick all the boxes, so you have to choose which compromises to make. If you don't want to make any, then really you're looking at spending more money unfortunately.

You can read about panel types here. With cheaper models Hisense/Samsung/TCL TVs tend to use VA, LG/Sony IPS. Make sure if you decide on IPS to not get a 50", because even LGs at that size are VA (49" is always IPS with LG though).
Thanks, you are a font of knowledge. I have seen the Hisense 8q 55 for £500, is this much of an upgrade to the Q7? and if the sony much better than this?

tvdavid

yes if you can buy the 8q go for it quick

tvdavid

Best HDR

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony expands 360 Reality Audio to Amazon Music Unlimited
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones