1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Kef Reference centre

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sticker, Mar 6, 2003.

1. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if Kef made a centre speaker to match the Reference 4.2 or 2.2 and what teh model number was.

Regards
    John

2. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kef model 100 or 200. The 100 is very popular, as it can be found 2nd hand for £150, and for that price its silly money:)

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The Kef Model100 was the original Centre for the 2.2s and the Model 200 was the centre for the 4.2s

Both are excellent but the Model200 is huge.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  5. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I used a Kef 100C with my reference 2.2's for years and then made the decision to 'upgrade' to the 200C - which was a mistake. It may be bigger, more expensive and capable of more bass but it jsut not as sweet sounding, as articulate and that's pretty important given that it's mostly gonna be carrying voice - go for the 100C.

Sharon

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    John & Sharon

I found that the Celestion A4C went wonderfully well with the Model 2.2s. Doesn't fit with conventional logic of timbre matching but worked very well for me.

Mark.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Kef Model 200. I haven't compared to the 100, but I think the 200 is fab. You need a decent amp, anything like a AV amp- no way.

Nathan

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help, most useful.

Where would you suggest the best place to buy either of these models, do they still exist new???

Nathan, I intend to run these with either a Arcam P7 or a Rotel RMB1095

Cheers
    John

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I used a Arcam 8P for a bit (50W 2 channel power) biamped the Kef 200. No problems. Although now I've got a 100W 2 channel poweramp, and seems better.

Still on Kef's main webpage, not the past products line- so guess still available. If you want to pay the £700 rrp that is.

I got mine 2nd hand for (£350) Jammy git or wot! :D

Nathan

10. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    How about the 202c?

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Both 100c (for 1.2 and 2.2) and 200c (for 3.2 and 4.2) were and still are premium centres. Recommended.:)

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My L/R's arn't from the Reference range- they're from the Q range. My brother has the Q95c, it's a bit naff.

How much better are the Reference fronts to the Q series? Would it be worthwhile replacing them? (only using the AV, not stereo)

Nathan

13. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, would this be a good match sound wise for the 4.2? I thought that the new refs were more "peaky"??

Nathan, you ARE a jammy git :)

14. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    There would be a substantial increase in your pleasure trading up from the Q (new or older) range to the older Ref range, your existing speakers would have noticable "rough edges" by comparison.

Steve

15. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sticker.
    No i think you would be better off getting a 200 (which is a GREAT center) for your 4.2's.
    I would prefer the term brighter rather than "peaky" thank-you:)
    I think that the 202 is by far the better speaker and find the 200 somewhat dulled by comparison, of course this is all relative to your amp/source characteristics.

Steve

16. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll never get the hang of this audiophile termonology ;) ;)

Steve, can I ask you of your opinions of the 4.2 to the new Ref's and where in you opinion they would sit, or is that comparing apples with pears?

Cheers
    John

17. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sticker.
    It depends on which of the new Ref's you are comparing them to. As a (most likely biased) Kef fan i have to say that your "older" 4.2's are magnificent speakers and you would have to be thinking top 2 models of current range.
    For me it is as much a matter of taste as any other criiteria.
    In my opinion the new ref range is better suited to today's high res formats and by comparison to perhaps what you are used too their presentation is bright but not harsh in any way, the initial impression of brightness suddenly becomes a realisation of absolute detail a la' PMC.
    This lends itself i feel to the somewhat analytical sound of SACD and brings real world life to the dynamics of say kick drums and the like, the new range is not for valve sound lovers out there.
    I consider myself a detail freak(althuogh it's hard to justify that statement using Rotel amplification i realise but they actually lend a calming tone to patnering of the Kef's the the decidedly analytical Tag) and absolutely LOVE the speakers. I chose these over the 805's which i realise is somewhat against the conventional train of thought but there we are!
    If you revel in the luxurionus presentation of your 4.2's then i am not sure the new range would instantly appeal to you.
    They are a bit if a radical change in both technology and presentation to the older ref range but that midrange/top integration is simply out of this world/that enclosure.

Steve

18. joseph

joseph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres a kef 100 c on auction at e bay.co.uk with a day and a few hour left on, its up to £56.00 at the mo , it says its a bit scratched though but works fine .

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, what do you think of the floorstanding RDM's? Will they be a better match for the Kef 200?

If not, I guess Kef Model 1.2's should be good enough.

Nathan

20. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan.

As i understand it (but don't quote me) the 200 is considered as an exact match for the RDM range utilising the same drivers as the RDM2's (standmounters) rather than a close match to the 10xx/model xx range.
    Certainly very recently my friend and i auditioned the 200 against the RDM2 (with sub) and floorstanding 3's and were of the absolute opinion that the smaller 2's were a better/identcal match and overall presentation (i thought the RDM's were surprisingly good performers musically too)
    This was done within the last 6 months at Unilet (south london)
    My friend paid $1500 for the 200, RDm2's and a Rotel 1075.
    $450 for the RDM 2's
    $500 for the 200 and,
    $550 for the 1075 (ex-demo)
    As i understand Unilet will still sell the RDM2'sand the 200 for these prices along with the TDM34's for $500 new if that is of any interest.

Steve.

21. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,

When I had my kef 100 and q35 fronts, I phoned kef and asked them what to upgrade my q35s to. They said that the RDMs would offer the best match. The rdm 3s were out of my price range and you will be very lucky to find these 2nd hand, so I purchased a pair of rdm 2s and couldnt be happier. They only go down to 80hz but the hgs 15 takes over from there.
    The rdm range is also very very easy on the eyes.

My humble opinion ofcourse.

22. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

What did you think of the rdm 2s? Please take into account the fact that I have them (go easy:)).

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Q75's for my AV L/R speakers. What do you think of these? Got em half price, so take that into consideration.

24. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also why are those prices in $? They are b***dy cheap!

25. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Timmy
    Hand on heart baring in mind the bargain price we got them at i really did enjoy them (i had a sneeking suspicion i would as i had observed many accounts of "vastly underated" and the like) and indeed would recommend them them, i am aware that for their $700 rrp there are many serious options these days but for $400 ish these are serious performers and would live quite happily i feel on the end of better than conventional thinking matching kit.

Steve

26. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Tim
    They are in $ rather than pounds because my PC is blxxdy cheap!

Steve

27. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew - I paid £520 for my rdm2s and was starting to kick myself!

I think I will give that Unilet place a ring, get another pair of rdm2s for my rears!

Many thanks!

28. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan

I have to admit a failing in that the Q75's are one of the very few Kef's i have not spent any time with, we tried to listen to a pair always advertised in Hyperfi but surprise surprise they were not in stock and nor will they be.
    I don't imagine for one moment that they are anything less that competent performers as a $1000 pair of Kef's is a $1000 pair of Kef's!!!
    Do you actually own a 200c? are you looking to tart up your fromt end?
    I always work on the basis of for any given budget what will give the best performance/budget ratio.
    If you own a 200c and the Q75's would $500/$750/$1000/whatever not be best spent elsewhere? or does the mismatch in timbre of the front three annoy you that much? (i can't say as it ever bothered me THAT much in my previous arrangements and god knows i've owned a lot of speakers).
    IMHO power isa major consideration for any speaker in my world.

Steve

29. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panning seems fine, but you know what it's like (the bug!) :D Using 100W poweramps (not Sony! :D ) all round, so plenty of power.

Yep, Q75 & 200 setup. My brother has the matching Q95c, which sounds awful (so I got the 200 instead)

Nathan

30. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan,
    Yes the 200 is several rungs up the center ladder than the 95 (i would recommend he 200 to anyone who would listen).
    i am sure that your Q75/200 must sound very good indeed are you reallty that unhappy with it all? (i know what it's like but i have to say that for the first time in a long time i have had no thoughts of spending more money on my speakers,i am genuinely (and i am amazed that i say it) absolutely delighted with my current package even now months down the line every time i turn it all on i think "sh@t that sounds quite good now you know"
    I have the Tag booked in for the dual processor upgrade at the end of this month and next month i am off to Lindos so it's all "gravy"(???)

What processor/sub/amps/surronds/PJ/TV etx do you use?

Steve