old Intel HD4600 integrated graphics not detecting 4k TV

nara48

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an old desktop pc with an ASUS Z87M-PLUS motherboard with an i5-4400 cpu, and using Intel HD4600 integrated graphics, which says it supports up to 4k resolution @ 24hz. The hdmi port is working because I can connect a 2k monitor to it with no problems, though I usually rely on DVI for that monitor so maybe the system already "knows" the monitor.

I also have a 4k@60hz Samsung UHD 58'' RU7100, which works with my newer laptop through the HDMI port (and same cable), but not my desktop. On the desktop it just says "no signal". I tried everything, updated all the drivers for everything, flash BIOS upgrade for everything including the TV, plugging and re-plugging all cables, waiting 2 minutes with the power off, turning one on and then the other and vice-versa, unplugging main monitor, turning off or on multi-monitor support on bios, detecting additional displays on windows, nothing works.

I'm using windows 7 home edition, whereas my laptop has windows 10, but the TV gives no signal even before windows loads or even if I enter the bios and wait there.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or what else I could try?

Do you think updating my desktop to windows 10 might fix the issue?

Last edited:
Does it show up in Windows Settings or the Intel control panel?

No signal could be that the display is connected but it doesn't like whichever resolution it's set to. If it's not being detected at all then something else is going on.

Try putting the TV in PC mode by changing the icon (and sometimes label) on the input to PC.

I tried that, it refuses to work. The TV can tell that it's got an hdmi cable connected to its port, but it receives no signal from my desktop.

I also tried factory resetting the tv, it made no difference.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the integrated graphics can only support a resolution up to 4k@24hz, and the tv refuses to accept anything other than 4k@60hz?

I don't have any other available 4k displays to be able to check if this is in fact the issue.

Or maybe I need specific windows 7 driver for the tv somehow. But I looked on the manufacturer website (samsung), and the only download they offer is the firmware update for the tv itself.

Last edited:
Hi mate

It's been a while since I did this,i Had a haswell based MacBook running bootcamp and to get it to work with my Samsung Q7 I had to set it to 3840x2160 @ 30hz. The 24hz limit is for a higher resolution poss 4096x2160

this was windows 10 and I think it was set via the Intel app and not general display settings but it's something you could try

I tried on windows 7 but either through the intel app (Intel HD Graphics) or windows itself, it won't let me go higher than my main monitor's resolution (1920x1200) and it won't let me choose anything other than 59hz or 60hz refresh rate.

I tried on windows 7 but either through the intel app (Intel HD Graphics) or windows itself, it won't let me go higher than my main monitor's resolution (1920x1200) and it won't let me choose anything other than 59hz or 60hz refresh rate.

I thought it wasn't showing up to be able to set the resolution?

I thought it wasn't showing up to be able to set the resolution?

The TV doesn't show up, other, older monitors with smaller resolution do show up, so I tried to change the resolution on another monitor, then plug in the TV, both simultaneously or while unplugging the other monitor.

Someone even told me to try to make the resolution very low before trying to plug in the TV. That didn't work either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom