Old Humax

Preacher

Standard Member
Many moons ago I had Sky TV which I cancelled when I bought a Humax Freesat 1000S, the HDD failed on my Humax so I was unable to record anything, so I got Sky again, (18 months ago) new dish, and new satellite coax cables . I have cancelled Sky again and swapped out the HDD in my Humax to see if I could record with a different HDD. I fired up the Humax and at first I was getting a strong signal through one cable, sat input 1 and nothing on sat input 2 I swapped the cables around so then I was getting a strong signal on input 2 and nothing on input 1 but either way it wasn't strong enough to get a signal. I switched to non freesat mode did a scan and got loads of channels. I did a factory reset and now am getting no signal on either input so I cant scan for channels in the freesat mode.

I guess my questions are, have Sky done something to their dishes so you can't use them anymore with freesat boxes ? could it be the F plugs they use aren't compatible with the Humax ? the coax cables aren't strong enough to give a signal to the Humax ? or is my Humax just stuffed ? I was a going to buy a 1Tb freesat box but if Sky have scuppered their equipment to only be used with their Sky Q boxes then I guess I wont bother.

Or should I just get my tin foil hat :laugh:

Last edited:

Preacher

Standard Member
Never mind, I have just read some posts on here and I have found out that my old humax will not work with the wideband lnb, (horizontal and vertical) but the newer freesat boxes will.

winston2010

Indeed sky use a non standard LNB for Q. If you still have your old dish (or LNB off it) you could reuse that.

Preacher

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply WInston2010 but unfortunately I binned my old sky dish.

I have been thinking of upgrading my TV to a 65" 4K does anyone know if any TV's with built in freesat use the Sky Q wideband LNB ?

logiciel

TVs don't use the Sky Q LNB but it can be replaced with an old style one.

winston2010

I have been thinking of upgrading my TV to a 65" 4K does anyone know if any TV's with built in freesat use the Sky Q wideband LNB ?
No. The Q LNB is non standard.

Why do people do this? I’ve got two sky dishes with quad LNBs I’ve found by peoples dustbins. Both are perfectly good and in use on Astra 1 and 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom