Old higher-end or newer budget projector?

Arnandsway

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a projector for watching movies in my student home. Projectors are completely out my expertise so I'm looking for some guidance. It won't really be a batcave scenario, but we will watch mostly at nights, so ambient light won't be a huge problem. My budget isn't very big so I'm searching for some budget projectors to start with. I'd like to stay below €500 for a projector.

I'm thinking of buying (or DIY'ing) a 100" screen and we will watch from around 3-4 meters away. The beamer probably won't be hanged from the ceiling, because of the use-case. But I might do so when moving to another house.

Based on the reviews from Phil Hinton I searched for some second hand deals. I'm not sure older higher-end projectors are worth looking for or if I should settle for a newer lower end one. These are the ones I have found so-far:
Sony VPL-HW55ES (640 hour used bulb) --> € 450
BenQ W1090 (one year old) --> € 310
BenQ W1050 --> € 380
BenQ W2000 --> € 310
BenQ W1080ST --> € 300
Optoma HD27 --> €350

Thank you!

Cheers,
Arnand

I don’t know about the BenQ models but we’ve had a HW55ES for a few years and love it. It’s done 700 hours approx with no problems. It’s in a fairly light coloured room but projects onto a React 2.1 screen which is silver grey screen which helps contrast and black levels in the lighter room. Motion and colours are great as well

Last edited:
Old higher end, no doubt about it. If you get anything from Sony or JVC, you really won't regret it as they pack an intangible filmic quality to them with an analogue type picture and great motion and picture processing.

An Epson would probably look the best in an untreated room due to sheer lumens but lacks the magic the two above offer. I'd look at a 9000 series model e.g. for your budget a 9200.

I would not bother with Optoma or BenQ.

I would not bother with Optoma or BenQ.

Actually W2000 it's a pretty decent entry level home cinema projector but Sony HS55 it's definetely better if it's not affected by panel degradation, becouse othwerwise it might not have that advantage in contrast anymore.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom