1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old HiFi sale advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gilesm, Oct 26, 2004.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear all

My dad's finally decided to move with the times and is going to buy himself a new hi-fi setup. He's asked me to look at selling his old stuff - and when I say old - I mean really old (circa 1974 :eek: ). Just wondered if anyone new if there was a market for old hi-fi and where I could sell it. I've looked at ebay but there's nothing really on there to compare it too, and I can't put it here until I've got a price.

The kit is:

Tanberg Model 9100X) reel to reel tape deck 3 speed
    Technics ST-3500 AM/FM Stereo Tuner
    Technics SL1100 direct drive turntable with
    - SME 3009 Series 11 Improved Arm
    - Shure V15 -111 Cartridge

Anyone know how much this lot might be worth. There's possibly a Quad 33/303 pre and power amp, if he can bare to depart from it.

Thanks alot

Giles

2. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
  3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Giles not sure about the Tanberg-Technics kit but the kit boldened above will sell on Ebay especially the SME Arm, put a reserve on it and see what happens, I can also say that I recently paid £50 for a Shure V15 - Mk III and it ones of the best bit of money I have spent in hifi (I would actually advise you to buy both the arm & cart off your dad for yourself for future TT use). Another point to mention to your dad which I was told of by another poster on the HFC forum, that you can send any original V15 Mk III to Shure in the US and they will replace the Stlyus + stylus mount section to that of the current Shure V15 VXR which retails @ £300 for £40-50 including postage IIRC. Ive not bothered FWIW as the V15 sounds so good as it is (but if he is thinking of a new TT I would hold onto the V15 and use in future).

Quad is another brand that brings out the Epayers as well, a good guy to ask queries about them is Davewhit on the HFC forum, he has loads of Quad, if you are thinking of advertising them on HFC anwyay, a good place to sell them as is the Pink Fish Forum :

http://freespace.virgin.net/tony.lonorgan/frameset.htm

For TT related items.

4. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Andrew, CJROSS

Thanks for your replies, I'll give them a ring / make enquiries tommorrow. Its amazing didn't really realise what he'd got - although remember listening to his sound system when I was young and it sounded fantastic then. The thing that really supprised me - having now done a bit of research, was that for the Quads, people are still making upgrade boards - 30 odd years after he bought it, why don't they make kit like that today !!!

Cheers

Giles

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is still good kit made nowadays that will be in demand in 25 years time but it will probably still be two channel stuff. Multichannel kit has built in obsolescence as the technology changes every year and loads of kit is abandoned as it doesn't have the latest DPL7 or 14.2 channels or a built in blue flashing light.

I would guess that the most likely of today's products to still be around for the next generation to tinker with will be speakers.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    There's quite a lot of 33/303's around currently,and prices seem to be in the £150-200 region,but it's worth watching for them on ebay for instance,and seeing what the average price is before selling...that also applies to the rest of the system,and may give you a reasonable idea of what the market will pay.

Reel-reel tape recorders are again a bit of a gamble depending on who's looking for one,and the old Revox decks usually fetch up to £200,with Tandbergs being a good bit less,depsite their good build.

If you go to a dealer,then inevitably there will be a margin in any deal struck,so do at least have an idea of likely price before going to one......he may actually do better to just replace a few selected bits of the system,rather than the whole lot,especially if the budget is limited...any idea of what he has in mind,both from the sound point of view and price?