Question Old hi8 to digital

moley27

Novice Member
Hi,
I have an old Sony CCD-TR60E Pal video camera and I want to convert my Hi8 tapes to digital. It's from the 70s and has limited output options.
I have the original RFU adapter, which is ok connecting to an aerial but doesn't help connecting to my laptop. I bought a USB 2.0 VHS to DVD video capture converter.
I can't get it to work.

So my question. Is my old video recorder to old to connect up and transfer? how else can I do this? I have 33 hi8 tapes and worked out it will cost me over £400 if I send to a professional to convert these tapes. Should I buy a second hand Hi8 camera that has the correct connection, if so which one?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
M

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You do not need the RFU adapter. Use a pair of phono leads from the yellow and white sockets on the camcorder to the video and left channel audio on the USB capture. This should work without issue.

Have you tested the capture device with another source? Is it configured correctly on your PC?

moley27

Novice Member
I've installed the capture device software ok, all seems to be working. Is that what you mean about configuring?
If I use the two phono plugs, plug the USB in nothing happens

Thanks

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Test it with another source. You need to be sure it is working.

Do you see the the capture window come up? Can you see any signal from the camcorder like a blue screen or a menu.

What capture software are you using?

moley27

Novice Member
I will try it all again tomorrow. I'm using Arcsoft Showbiz software, it came with the capture device called Easy VHS to DVD . Says I can transfer to USB and youtube ...it comes with s-video, composite and audio L/R leads.

Sorry Im a bit of a dinosaur on these things

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom