• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Old hi-fi equipment

mcvw

Standard Member
Hi,

A friend of the family asked my dad if he might want some old hi-fi equipment. My dad said no, but said that I might be interested (nice one dad!).

So yesterday my dad dropped off the following:
- Creek 4040 cs2 amp
- Royd Audio A7 speakers - with "extraction" or "extractor"(?) branded cables (two-core and have banana plugs)
- Marantz CD63 cd player
- Yamaha KX300 cassette deck

I haven't tried the casette deck, but everything is in working order, though the cd player skips/jumps tracks.

I was considering ebaying the lot (and giving my dad the proceeds to pass onto his friend) as I already have a NADC350 amp paired with some B&W 601S3's, but I'm wondering if the Creek might be a better match with my B&W's?

The Creek also has a phono stage - which my NAD doesn't. Is the Creek's phono-stage better than a NAD PP2 or similar (which I still haven't got around to buying yet)?

Thank you,

Mike

Arfa

The Creek was a pretty good budge amp in the day. Not bad, but I bet your Nad is better, though depends on preference. Creek phono stages are good, I have Creek OBH 8SE phono box myself, however I have no idea how good the one in this budget amp will be. It certainly won't be bad. I think these usually fetch between £20-£50 on ebay.

The Royd's I can tell you a little about. There was two versions, the first had a a purple/violet coloured tweeter. The series II had an better Audex tweeter (black/grey coloured). They were one of Royd's early budget speakers, the A7 series II sold for £99 back in '87. Check out my Royd website (Royd Audio Speakers), I've got loads of info there, plus a nice review of the A7 II. If in good nick you should get somewhere between £40-90 on ebay, depending on model. They had a good reputation and you should definitely give them run and compare with your B&W's. Will be quite a different presentation, less bass emphasis, but faster and more musical. Certainly spend some time with them, both on the Creek and the Nad, see which you prefer.
In fact, I don't have many photos of the A7's on my site, if you have a spare moment, I'd greatly appreciate a couple of snaps, if you don't mind. :)

I can never remember which Marantz CD models are the sought after ones. Usually the special/signature editions/KI etc. The others tend to be two and penny and don't fetch a huge amount.
Few care about tape decks these days, Freecycle is full of them...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom