Old HDD to New Box?

tcepser

Standard Member
I have an old Amstrad DRX-890C which has a 500GB drive in it, and just had a new Sky system fitted. But the new one only has a 250GB HDD.

Is it possible to just place the old HDD into the new one? The new box a DRX-890Z.

Also, the new Box has 3D Anytime printed on the bottom (front left bottom) what does this mean?

Thank you

Johnbyte

Novice Member
DRX890s have a 500GB drive: 250GB for your personal use, 250GB for Anytime. Unless your new box is non-standard, the size of the drives will be the same in both machines.

tcepser

Standard Member
So even though the old HDD says 500 and the white box for the new box says 250GB there are both in fact 500GB?

Broadz

Also, the new Box has 3D Anytime printed on the bottom (front left bottom) what does this mean?

That it is capable of showing you the Sky 3D channel and Sky Anytime. The fact that the old box was as well seems to have missed them.

tcepser

Standard Member
Anyone confirm what Johnbyte said? Are both hard drives actually 500GB but only say 250GB because they keep the rest for anytime?

Does this mean that if I disable Anytime I can actually have 500GB of personal space?

And last question - if this is the case and I basically have a 500GB hard drive lying around, could I put it into my PC and format it to use as a normal hard drive?

Thanks for the help so far :)

logiciel

The 890 came out only about eighteen months ago and I wouldn't call that "old". I didn't know there are versions with different letters attached to the number, but it's not likely that there is much difference between them.
They all must have the 500gB drive, and all must be able to receive the HD channel - which is no different from any other channel - and Anytime, so that label on your Z version doesn't signify anything. All Sky PVRs reserve some of the drive for Anytime, whether you have that enabled or not. If you can take the drive out of a machine that's no use otherwise, then you could use it in a computer, and at the current prices it might be worth doing that!

tcepser

Standard Member
Great help :D thank you everyone.

On my new box, using the Menus, is there anyway I can find out what size the HDD is?

The 890 came out only about eighteen months ago and I wouldn't call that "old". I didn't know there are versions with different letters attached to the number, but it's not likely that there is much difference between them.
They all must have the 500gB drive, and all must be able to receive the HD channel - which is no different from any other channel - and Anytime, so that label on your Z version doesn't signify anything. All Sky PVRs reserve some of the drive for Anytime, whether you have that enabled or not. If you can take the drive out of a machine that's no use otherwise, then you could use it in a computer, and at the current prices it might be worth doing that!

The different letters at the end are for country of manufacture - R= Roumania, C= China and Z= ??? (Various guesses include South Africa and Zuhai (China). They may have internal component differences (different chip sets or just different suppliers) but are built to meet the same performance spec with the same size HDDs. Incidentally the version number in system details (4E3xxx) changes every time there is a hardware change in the box (different supplier or spec of components or redesign of motherboard and even cosmetic changes to case design).

logiciel

Thanks dm2 - I had a mental block about those letters - I did know about them.:blush:

So, tcepser, all you've done is exchange one machine that wasn't old for another that's exactly the same, with the 500gB drive, so there's no point in trying to check its capacity.

tcepser

Standard Member
True, but Sky fitted it, it wasn't like I purchased the new box :)

I have decided to leave it now, I am using the new box and taken the HDD from the old one and put it in my PC :)

logiciel

At the current price and availability of drives you've done well out of it then! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom