Old guy, projector advice

bumpthump

Novice Member
In 2009 as a 55 year old youth, I finally realised my dream, and got a home cinema (in my dining room). 110” manual pull down screen, KEF eggs, a REL subwoofer, an Onkyo receiver, a Sony 5000es blu-ray player, and a Sony HW10. I managed to get this on the basis of one solemn promise to my better half……be happy with what you have, and stay away from magazines.

This I did until Feb, Shem my trusty old Onkyo decided to not be trusty anymore, so I got a nice Denon replacement. A little fire was lit. A few speakers added for Atmos.

Then the siren call of 4K projectors could be heard in my head. That’s why I need help, guidance, sage words. I am 68 years old now. Every sunrise is not guaranteed. My projector is for movie events only. By way of example, yesterday for the very first time, I checked the lamp hours on my Sony…….457 hours on the original bulb in over 12 years.

I have neither the budget or the inclination to throw thousands upon thousands in the direction of a new projector. I was looking at the budget end….the XGimi Horizon Pro, or the Cosmos 4K laser (but not at £1800 thank you very much).

Thankfully, I am not a purist. I just want something to look 4K good. I don’t expect it to be close to 4k native. Is my thinking logical, or do I need to rethink my approach?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
In 2009 as a 55 year old youth, I finally realised my dream, and got a home cinema (in my dining room). 110” manual pull down screen, KEF eggs, a REL subwoofer, an Onkyo receiver, a Sony 5000es blu-ray player, and a Sony HW10. I managed to get this on the basis of one solemn promise to my better half……be happy with what you have, and stay away from magazines.

This I did until Feb, Shem my trusty old Onkyo decided to not be trusty anymore, so I got a nice Denon replacement. A little fire was lit. A few speakers added for Atmos.

Then the siren call of 4K projectors could be heard in my head. That’s why I need help, guidance, sage words. I am 68 years old now. Every sunrise is not guaranteed. My projector is for movie events only. By way of example, yesterday for the very first time, I checked the lamp hours on my Sony…….457 hours on the original bulb in over 12 years.

I have neither the budget or the inclination to throw thousands upon thousands in the direction of a new projector. I was looking at the budget end….the XGimi Horizon Pro, or the Cosmos 4K laser (but not at £1800 thank you very much).

Thankfully, I am not a purist. I just want something to look 4K good. I don’t expect it to be close to 4k native. Is my thinking logical, or do I need to rethink my approach?
whats ur budget?
sounds like u want to spend a reasonable ammount of money on a PJ <£1k, which I totally can get behind. If thats the case, ur best bet is a second hand epson 9300 with warranty.

I would reccomend a JVC X5000 or something but their bulbs are like £400, similar expensive bulbs on Sony. Epson bulbs are cheaper, its very bright, its close enough to 4K and has all the premium feature's you'd want.

bumpthump

Novice Member
Yes, a budget of circa £1.5k would be about it for me. My one fear of an Epson is that I have four terriers, so it’s a constant battle to keep the house clear of the hairs they cast, or the dust they inevitable bring into the house. Not being a sealed light path, I was concerned about dust blobs.
Those XGimis and Ankers look very alluring, but I am wary of build and component quality when they hit the market place at half the price of say, the new LG laser.

pagenotfound

I know you've got concerns over dust blobs with the Epsons but there is an ex-dem 7400 at Audio-T in the home cinema clearance section for 1.2k.

Do you have your projector ceiling mounted or shelf/table? just wondering if you can cover when not in use to reduce exposure to dust/hair.

The other option is do nothing and suppress the 4k urge. That's what I'm leaning towards for myself after getting caught up in the excitement of potential new Sony laser projectors.

bumpthump

Novice Member
My projector sits on a shelf above the couch we sit on to watch movies. The lens is 3.95 metres away from the screen, and that is pretty much fixed in terms of distance.

bumpthump

Novice Member
I know you've got concerns over dust blobs with the Epsons but there is an ex-dem 7400 at Audio-T in the home cinema clearance section for 1.2k.

Do you have your projector ceiling mounted or shelf/table? just wondering if you can cover when not in use to reduce exposure to dust/hair.

The other option is do nothing and suppress the 4k urge. That's what I'm leaning towards for myself after getting caught up in the excitement of potential new Sony laser projectors.
My experience with the HW10 has been nothing but good, and while the image is never going to be cutting edge, it’s never what I would consider to be bad.
I am blessed in the respect that I can watch a movie, but I don’t get caught up in my mind carrying out a critique of the image….I simply watch the film.

My curse is in vinyl audio, and never being able to settle for what I have, always pursuing one more upgrade. Thankfully, the home cinema doesn’t me in the that way.

pagenotfound

I'm pretty sure vinyl audio will offer equal opportunities to drain the finances as home cinema. Getting caught up in GAS for both would no doubt be a rapid path to ruin for many.

I'm with you on the watching the film not the image. I'm content with my JVC HD1 but do notice the flaws fairly regularly but that's usually on a film that isn't really drawing me in. I'm happy to accept it for what it is as you buy your nice new shiny toy, really like it and then head on over here and find someone taking a comfort break on your bonfire pointing out all the serious issues that you'd never noticed before. Ignorance can be bliss!

All that said. I'm sure the TW7400 would be an impressive upgrade but it all comes down to the battle of need over want.

bumpthump

Novice Member
Sage advice that I will follow, and a projector I haven’t even considered. Facing up to the reality that do not have a bat cave, it seems to be a logical option.
Thing is, my 457 hours in twelve years has an incidental bonus. Since I don’t watch Netflix (or any app) on the projector, every time the Sony is fired up, it still feels “special”. I have never reached that “familiarity breeds contempt” stage. 🙂

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Yes, a budget of circa £1.5k would be about it for me. My one fear of an Epson is that I have four terriers, so it’s a constant battle to keep the house clear of the hairs they cast, or the dust they inevitable bring into the house. Not being a sealed light path, I was concerned about dust blobs.
Those XGimis and Ankers look very alluring, but I am wary of build and component quality when they hit the market place at half the price of say, the new LG laser.

9300 would be best for your budget, no doubt.

bumpthump

Novice Member
Yep, have now stepped away from the funny name brands, and Epson seems to be the main player for me. Not a statto, but I would imagine there is little difference between a 9300 and a 9400.

Harold88

For 1.5 k your real options are TW9300 or the newer 9400 is you can find one.

The 9400 is slightly better but where it really stand out from the last generation si with 18gbps bandwith that will solve all problems with HDR content.

You can also hunt for an older JVC but personally I haven't seen so many for sale.

bumpthump

Novice Member
Thanks again. I think I might try to raise the budget to £2k as that maybe makes my targets a little more achievable.
Certainly seems to be narrowing down to an Epson. Can’t really see any truly viable options at the same price point.

Harold88

They are expensive, even second hand. X5900/7900/9900 was the last generation of eshifter projectors from JVC and it's already 5 years old.

smashmouse

There is an unused Epson TW7400 on ebay, the seller asking £1400 but also open to offers.

Harold88

Don't rush the buying decision, 1400£ for 7400 is not really a great offer.

For less money you can easily find a TW9300 which throws a better image.

pagenotfound

Thanks again. I think I might try to raise the budget to £2k
Be careful. You've entered an addicts den and everyone will try to get you hooked on their own particular poison. Before you know it you'll have sold a kidney, remortgaged the house and be looking at your umpteenth JVZ NZ9 hoping you've finally got one of the good ones.

bumpthump

Novice Member
Be careful. You've entered an addicts den and everyone will try to get you hooked on their own particular poison. Before you know it you'll have sold a kidney, remortgaged the house and be looking at your umpteenth JVZ NZ9 hoping you've finally got one of the good ones.
For nearly 30 years, I have obsessed over my Linn Sondek. Every time a new must have upgrade came along, there I was at the front of the queue. I think the hardboard base on the underside is the only part remaining from when I got it way back when. Vinyl has been my live long obsession. I don’t have enough time left on the planet to allow home theatre to pull me in. 😬

diablo

My projector sits on a shelf above the couch we sit on to watch movies. The lens is 3.95 metres away from the screen, and that is pretty much fixed in terms of distance.
That's similar to my setup with my three-year-old 9400, so should be fine.

If I look into my lens I see quite a few bits of dust, though they don't seem to affect what appears on screen. Dog hairs might be a different matter, but I think the filter should keep those out.

If you get a second-hand 9300 or 9400 which needs a new lamp be very wary of getting one from anywhere other than Epson. Epson were out of stock when I needed a new one so I bought two lamps from firms which assured me they had original spec Epson bulbs - but they were only as bright as the old one I was wanting to replace!

They have stock at the moment.

bumpthump

Novice Member
Good advice! I think the dust blobs form on the actual chips themselves. My son’s projector (9300) has two appear out with warranty. He was quoted (I can’t remember exactly) around £300, tried to use compressed air to blow it clear, but just managed to contam8nate everything, then was told his PJ was beyond economic repair. 😂

Harold88

Dust blobs are nasty.

I have two of them but I never had the guts to send the projector to warranty. I have spoken with a seller that I trust and he told me that cleaning the dust blobs from this LCD projectors is a very sensitive matter.

It is quite possible that the projector will come back to you with sh*tty panel alignment and you will lose the sharpness of the image, depending on how good or how idiots are those who are doing the cleaning job.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022