Old games you still play?

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what old games people are still play.

I'm still playing (not on a regular basis though) Transport Tycon deluxe, Master of Orion 2, Master Of magic and Colonization every now and again.

Also back when I collected arcade roms i'd play through the punisher and final fight quite a bit.

So what games have you got that you will still play, and when I say old I mean any age really could be from last year or could be from 15 years ago.

Need you ask me. Thief; The Dark Project. :cool:
Civ II
Diablo II+Expansion.

Just finished System Shock 2 a few weeks back.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've gone through Half Life and Opposing Force.
Likewise Halo.

Sometimes I even dig out the amiga and give deuteros a bash but this is less likely what with the emulators available now.

Delta Force by novalogic, the only game my laptop will run, along with Champ Manager!

Homeworld 1 and 2. Still love a good bit of CnC Red Alert.

A few good old FPS too. AvP 2, Elite Force 2, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Rainbow Six 3.

Not the oldest games, but still fairly old compared to what we have coming out these days.

I liked homeworld especialy with all the mods.

old games are great, in fact i prefer a lot of them to newer games where imho there is an overemphasis on graphics.

morrowind (not that old i know)
counter strike (after playing for 3 years im STILL not bored!)
colin mcrea rally 2 (imho the best of the series, couldnt get on with any of the new ones)
american mcgees alice(only just got it but so good)
soul reaver (as above great story and puzzles)

its amazing i have some great new games like half life 2/far cry/rome:total war and yet i still play the above games and enjoy them more!

I still play X-Com from time to time, I love that game, one of the best strategy games. Diablo II is another favourite and the Civ series.

When I had my PC I used to play emu games a lot, mostly SNES and MAME games. The Metal Slug series I really enjoy playing and Streetfighter stuff.

"I was wondering what old games people are still play."

I still play Tin Can Alley, Kerplunk, Operation, Hungry Hippos and the Weebles.

Oh and I play all them while doing wheelies on my Evil Knievel Stunt Cycle and bending my rubber Spiderman with the squidgy head and real Spidey suit.

Sometimes, I also make long star and crescent shaped sausages with my Playdoh machine.

I have a great life...

jimbobaggins said:
"I was wondering what old games people are still play."

I still play Tin Can Alley, Kerplunk, Operation, Hungry Hippos and the Weebles.

Oh and I play all them while doing wheelies on my Evil Knievel Stunt Cycle and bending my rubber Spiderman with the squidgy head and real Spidey suit.

Sometimes, I also make long star and crescent shaped sausages with my Playdoh machine.

I have a great life...

LOL, although this is the pc games forum :rolleyes:

Yes, I know but I am pretty sure that all of the above are politically correct.

gazbarber said:
I was wondering what old games people are still play.

I'm still playing (not on a regular basis though) Transport Tycon deluxe, Master of Orion 2, Master Of magic and Colonization every now and again.

Can you get these to work with Windows XP, or do you have to use something like DOSbox ?

All those games are classics, reminds me of when I first bought a PC.

:)

You usually need an emulator to play old games.

I am using either the Tomytronic 3d emulator (Thundering Turbos Edition), or Caveman (Rock avoiding, Egg stealing edition)

Sinzer said:
I still play X-Com from time to time, I love that game, one of the best strategy games. Diablo II is another favourite and the Civ series.

I used to play UFO - Enemy unknown loads at Uni ('93-'96) - that was a fantastic game!! I also loved Diablo 2 - infact I still have that so may have to give it another go!

I loved the original Laser Squad as well - still one of my all time faves and I still play it from time to time using emulators :thumbsup: .

age of empires still manages to steal a few hours of my life on a rainy day. For a quick blast, any of the irem (R-type) shoot em ups on mame still tickle my fancy. sometimes i'll brush up on my hadokens by playing on streetfighter alpha as well.

This is real sad though i probably play more solitaire on my pc than other games (must be gettin' old)

Even though this seems to be my stock answer to questions like this, I still enjoy playing Sensible Soccer on my PC using an Amiga Emulator. I've even bought an old Amiga Zipstick joystick and rigged it up to my PC so I can experience it how I used to play it.

Another old game I've been playing recently, and which I'm in the middle of, is Baldur's Gate 2. Love the details in this game. The way Minsc says:

"Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes! YEAAAAAAARGH"

and

"Butt kicking for goodness!"

Basically anything by Minsc. I'd forgotten how good the voice acting actually was, especially considering how many lines are spoken throughout the course of the game.

Well i've just re-installed & patched Diablo 2 so here goes! I must say that the intro movie is still one of the best that i've seen and this game is 5 years old now! :eek:

Just had a good bash on Diablo 2 and i'd almost forgotten how great a game it is! I can see me playing right through it again as it's just soooo addictive!

Surely it's about time they did a Diablo 3 - that said i've not played the expansion to this one so I may try and pick that up somewhere.

CAS FAN said:
Just had a good bash on Diablo 2 and i'd almost forgotten how great a game it is! I can see me playing right through it again as it's just soooo addictive!

Surely it's about time they did a Diablo 3 - that said i've not played the expansion to this one so I may try and pick that up somewhere.
You could class World of Carcraft as Diablo III for the mo although it has no end and is 3D it is very similar in structure and characters and is by Blizzard.

I do take you heve the Diablo Exansion Pack!

Garrett said:
You could class World of Carcraft as Diablo III for the mo although it has no end and is 3D it is very similar in structure and characters and is by Blizzard.

I do take you heve the Diablo Exansion Pack!

Played WOW but found it boring after a month or so. Can't say i'm into the whole MMORPG genre anymore (Played most of the main ones over the years). Diablo 2 is great as it's nice and simple and you can just pick it up and play when you like. It's also quite fast paced.

As stated, sadly I don't have the expansion but I will have to look to pick this up as i've never played it. :smashin:

I've also tried the baldurs gate games and Neverwinter nights but didn't really get on with those.

I find myself going back to games all the time im going through command & conquer now, it is amazing how this game stands up it is 10 years old and is more enjoyable then the new games and has better music. Baldurs gate 2 i find myself going back to which takes hours of my life. I have gone back to deus ex many times. I prefere games games from the last decade they just have more gameplay, I dont care about graphics which is what most of the time goes into when making games these days.

I must say that a lot of games these days are all show and no substance but there are still some great games. The PES games and the likes of Forza Motorsport are two fine examples where gameplay is king! I guess the fact that there's just so much out there as well now means that you are going to get a lot of turkeys!

CAS FAN said:
As stated, sadly I don't have the expansion but I will have to look to pick this up as i've never played it. :smashin:
I had a mate who too played and loved the original and never got the expansion pack Lord of Destruction and after talking him into it, he played it to death. It not only gives you 2 new characters and a extra long level. Alters the game play for the better and you have the facility to alter you old characters to the new form. And there is no silly time out on the Diablo and Baal end run.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom