1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old films and New Prints / Releases on DVD.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gurj, Nov 26, 2003.

1. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You know all your favourite films that you've grown up with ( for me ) such as Godfather 1/2, Indiana Jones Trilogy etc you've been used to watching maybe on their cinema release, video, tv/sky etc and have been used to the same level of detail and sound but you still love the film.....( stay with me )

Then when they are released on DVD digitally remastered ( vision and sound ) is it me or is it the viewing pleasure so much better....I mean i normally sit there picking out detail that i never saw properly before and listening to the soundtrack and it makes me think how many other films out there are being wasted due to not being released on DVD ( I'm on about older films in particular and i won't even go into the Original Star Wars Trilogy ).

I was just wondering what favourite films of members of the forum once they were available on DVD were so much better to watch / enjoy ?

2. -J-

-J-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is good that they do this but...

It would be nice though if they could go back to the original negatives and digitally fix ALL the glitches - ie do a "proper" clean up of the image - too many of these "remastered" dvds are grainy (and not by deliberate design) or contain all the scratches of the source negative - take a look at the universal black and white monster series (frankenstein, the mummy, dracula etc) for instance.

This SHOULD be what superbits have done - i.e. the best possible transfer of the best possible negative with upgraded sound too.

P.S. The first 2 Godfather films are now getting another re-release I hear with better picture (why on earth couldnt they provide the BEST possible picture in the first place).

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pity they didnt do a better job with the 5.1 soundtrack to Raiders of the Lost Ark, opening whip sound as the gun clicks is weak and should have been better (( directional surround sound and overall clarity and bass extension )), barfight scene same problem bloated bass too.

4. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have too agree with you`s as old classics should be done right .
    Singn the rain for example. Picture and sound for a 50 year old pic is brill ,no grain and crackles to be seen and u take a flim like highlander a cult classic and they can`nt get the picture to look new ,and what about aliens the picture looks like it`s been copyed of a video master with a thx badge on it as well.
    And then u get companys like hongkong legends who take totally crap prints and make them like new i:e bruce lee`s flims and tons of extras.
    Big companys at end of the day want u to buy newer verisons each time with new this and new that. And we all know were going buy them anyway .

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Check out Once Upon A Time In The West - absolutely superb for a 35 year old film. :smoke: No grain or scratches here - nice one Paramount.

Steve