1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old DLP-projectors still any good? Any good advice for projector-newbie?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Per Magnus, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Per Magnus

Per Magnus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I am a 17-year old boy from Norway who's looking to enter the world of big-picture. I'll have to say that this forum has helped me alot and thaught me almost everything I now about projectors:)

I was thinking of buying a projector, but since I am on a really small budget (about £900), I think I'll look in the 2nd hand market. My room is about 15 ft long and 9 ft wide, so I won't be needing a really huuuge picture.
    I was thinking of buying a two-three year old DLP-projector, but I'm unsure if the last years development has made them completely rubbish compared to todays projector. Is the difference really that noticeable when you use it to project a 70"-90"-picture? Anyone got any other good advice for one like me, with so little cash?
    Bear in mind that my last screen was a 21 inch tv, so it is quiet a big leap, meaning I probably won't be that picky on the picture-quality.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or opinions!
    Thanx:)

Per Magnus Riseng, Norway

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    You can't go wrong with a Davis DLS8 or DL450.

Both give good black level, colour and detail, but will only really shine if driven by an external scaler or better still, a computer (htpc), which is what I use.

I'm still using mine (DLS8), and only now am I thinking of upgrading to something with a higher resolution and better contrast ratio.

They still go for good money, but you may see them for around the £900 mark. I did see a 450 going for £750 once, so you might get lucky.

Good luck

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    I have my Plus U3 PJ on ebay, but you might think it's a bit pricey.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    BUY IT NOW PER!!

It's a good machine by all accounts, and has a good spec'.

That was yours for u3 1080 for £899 'buy it now' wasn't it smurfin?

Gary

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    yep, that is mine:D

The one drawback is that the lamp usage is quite high, and I bought it cheaper from this very forum;) (just being honest!)

I need to raise some funds for my impending PTAE-300 purchase though:D

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quotes by Smurfin from another thread:

"From now on, I will not post in threads, but if a thread arises where items are imho overpriced, and someone is about to pay that price, I'll damn well make sure I will PM them and advise if they're paying over the odds.

So are you going to tell the "lucky" buyer on ebay how much you paid for your PJ then?

"I paid xxx amount on the forums for it, but can get xxx more on ebay, so I really don't want to sell it to you" [some twisted conscience logic in there somewhere!]"

Buy it for £600, sell for £900 :eek: Just honest capitalism I'd say, but very profitable!

"Dont know why, but I'd hate to see someone on here being ripped off."

;)

Sorry mods, OT I know :blush:

Per,

Newer projectors tend to have longer bulb life, with 4000/5000 hours. A 2/3 year old unit will most likely have little useage left, & replacement bulbs are VERY expensive. You could well end up paying 30% of the PJ cost for a bulb, taking you to the cost of a new LCD unit.

Have you considered an LCD unit? Going from a 21" tv to a PJ will be a major upgrade for you, so an LCD would also be a good choice for a first time PJ owner.

£900 isn't a bad budget. It should get you well on the way.

Best of luck ;)

7. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the PJ in question and it has an amazing picture. I know that he got it here on the forum cheaper but just because someone sells something well below what it is worth doesn't mean that the actual value of the PJ is not worth what he is asking. I can see that it is good to help one another out with lower pricing (or realistic pricing) Perhaps if per made Smurfin an offer after the E-bay sale if it hasn't sold? You must remember though stuff on e-bay can go for well over the top and smurfins price reflects this. If he was selling it on the forum it would be less although still worthwhile IMHO. :confused:

8. Per Magnus

Per Magnus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everyone!:)
    I am well aware of the lamp-problem, it is one of the first things I look after when looking at projectors on auctions etc.
    But if the lamp is ok, is it really that big a difference between today's and two-three year old projectors?
    Remember, as mentioned before, my last tv was 21 inches, so this is a huuuge leap for me.

As for Smurfin, Your projector looks like a great projector, and I don't doubt for a second that it's picture quality will satisfy me. But since I'm on a tight budget (I really don't have one single penny more than the mentioned £900), I can't afford a new bulb now or in the near future. Besides, the shipping will also cost a bit, as I'm i Norway and you in Cambridge.
    But thanks anyway!

Per Magnus

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Well if you're sorry it's OT, then why bother making your statements?

Re-read my post then get off your high horse Kramer.

As I said in my first post: "you may think the price is a bit high".

And another quote:

"The one drawback is that the lamp usage is quite high, and I bought it cheaper from this very forum (just being honest!)"

So I'm being up-front with the fact that I bought it cheaper on the forum, I'm not trying to hide anything, and in fact my posts on this thread are hardly an advert for my PJ as I've not said anything "positive" about it to sell it.

I STILL stand by my quotes above, which is one of the reasons why I haven't actually advertised it on this forum.

For me, e-bay is a different matter altogether.

=====

And Kramer, wasn't it you who was trying to sell your own projector by putting someone else off from buying the PTAE-300 with a negative view? Which is kind of ironic, given that you've just ordered one yourself. Pot calling kettle springs to mind.

Regards
    The Smurf

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Try reading both of those statements again....then think through your arguments next time;)

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I haven't ;)

As this isn't helpful to the thread starter I'm out of here.

Per,

Once again best of luck with your foray into front projection home cinema.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Funny how that's bothering you now;)

13. Per Magnus

Per Magnus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again, thanks a lot guys!
    Sorry to see you "arguing", but I'm sure you'll be friends again:)

Only 34 days left to christmas, hurray!!

14. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839