Old Denon CD Player with Optical Digital Output "for recording"

JAS2001

Novice Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a cheap CD player that I can connect to my amplifier using the optical input. I stumbled across a Denon DCD-685 in good condition. Although it has an optical output, it states in the user manual the following "The DCD-685/485 include an Optical Digital Output that lets you connect a CD-R unit or other digital signal recorder to make direct digital recordings". So it seems to be meant for use when doing a recording, but could I still use the output for connecting it to my system?
Denon.jpg

Yes. The wording is more likely formatted to show the ease of a digital connection. By connecting the optical you would need your amp to have it's own DAC onboard otherwise you would need to use the analogue connections.

Yes. The wording is more likely formatted to show the ease of a digital connection. By connecting the optical you would need your amp to have it's own DAC onboard otherwise you would need to use the analogue connections.
Well yes, my amp has its own DAC.

Both auxiliary inputs on my amp are already occupied (1 RCA and 1 Optical digital) So I'll have to use some type of switch in order to plug in the CD player. I believe it’s better to use a switch with the digital input rather than the analog since well, it’s digital. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Denon is old. If your amp is younger in design that the amp may have a better quality DAC. What I would do is to hook up both the digital and the analogue to your amp. Try the optical first then the analogue to see which one you prefer. An optical adapter won't cost a fortune. Hopefully your amp has spare line-in RCA.

Amazon product ASIN B08Y6BJW3W

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom