OLD Denon AVC-A1 amp versus NEW Sony STR-DG820

100949football

I have my old but still working perfectly 5.1 Denon AVC-A1 but am tempted to go the route of HDMI and 7.1 by buying the Sony STR-DG820 which I have awaiting me with my name on it at my local shop for collection within the next few days.

What are the plusses and minuses?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Plusses;

Sony = features

Denon = sound

I wouldn't contemplate it fwiw.

A sub £250 amp is not going to be a match for even an old high end Denon for sound, music especially. But I guess it depends what your priorities are.

100949football

Plusses;

Sony = features

Denon = sound

A sub £250 amp is not going to be a match for even an old high end Denon for sound, music especially. But I guess it depends what your priorities are.

I'm gonna keep the Denon in my "music/toy" room with Mission 752 freedoms and Mission centre with [email protected] Diapole DM6.

The Sony is gonna go in my lounge replacing an old but also trusty Sony STR-DB925 5.1 receiver with Tannoys front/centre/rear for home cinema with 50" Panasonic plasma, Sony Blu Ray and Toshiba HD player with Topfield 5800 recorder. I Wanted the 820 for HDMI although I wondered at simple connection the old 925 up with opticals for sound only!

Thank You for your advises though.

what does fwiw mean?:lesson::lesson::lesson:

Last edited:

Dubster

Plusses;

Sony = features

Denon = sound

I'm gonna keep the Denon in my "music/toy" room with Mission 752 freedoms and Mission centre with [email protected] Diapole DM6.

The Sony is gonna go in my lounge replacing an old but also trusty Sony STR-DB925 5.1 receiver with Tannoys front/centre/rear for home cinema with 50" Panasonic plasma, Sony Blu Ray and Toshiba HD player with Topfield 5800 recorder. I Wanted the 820 for HDMI although I wondered at simple connection the old 925 up with opticals for sound only!

Thank You for your advises though.

what does fwiw mean?:lesson::lesson::lesson:

Dont worry about the sound on the strdg820 as its very good.Some people might say otherwise, but as i recently went from a denon amp to the sony and found sound wise i couldnt tell the difference which from cost wise (denon £750 in 2005 ouch!) was a pleasant surprise.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom