Old CD player compatible with new amp

Castofthousands

Standard Member
Hi All,

Im just in the process of upgrading my old Marantz amp and Eltax speakers.

The question I have is two fold: Firstly-

I still have a Marantz CD67SE player and wanted to ask about it’s compatibility with the Marantz PM7000N.

Will I need a separate DAC or can I just plug it straight into the amp and go?

Secondly- If it’s not compatible (or fails to work after being boxed for a few years), what is a good second hand quality player to replace it?

Any advice and recommendations much appreciated.

gibbsy

You can connect by either analogue or digital optical or coaxial. Then you can compare the DAC in the player via analogue or use the 67SE as a transport via one of the digital outs and use the DAC onboard the 7000N. Best of both worlds really.

Castofthousands

Standard Member
Hi Gibbsy,

Thanks for the quick reply. What’s the difference between the three types of cable you mention? The cable I have with the player (maybe 20+ years old) is Cambridge audio with gold connectors.
Am I right in saying the CD player will work with both analogue (using CDs DAC) or digital (employing the amps DAC); and then just figure out which sounds better?

gibbsy

Hi Gibbsy,

Thanks for the quick reply. What’s the difference between the three types of cable you mention? The cable I have with the player (maybe 20+ years old) is Cambridge audio with gold connectors.
Am I right in saying the CD player will work with both analogue (using CDs DAC) or digital (employing the amps DAC); and then just figure out which sounds better?
That's exactly what it is. I suggest you get an Amazon basics optical cable for the digital connection. Your current RCA Cambridge cables should still be OK for the analogue connection.

Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom