Old Bose speakers to new AV Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mac0z, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Mac0z

Mac0z
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just moved into a new house where the previous owners had installed a BOSE lifestyle system many years ago. There are 5 satellite speakers physically attached to the wall for a 5.1 system. The wires for these run through the walls to converge at one point. The end of each wire has an RCA plug on it.

I have a modern 5.1 capable AV Receiver, but of course all the speaker terminals are terminal posts. I've read that RCA connectors are used for unamplified signals, but I'm sure the tiny old BOSE speakers would have required an amplified signal. Is it safe to essentially cut off the RCA connector and strip back some wire and attached to my AV receiver? Or is this a bad idea?

I'm afraid I don't know the exact BOSE lifestyle system model (possibly a BOSE lifestyle model 5), but it is one that came with a source as pictured below:

[​IMG]
    Many thanks in advance

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,338
    You could replace the RCA connectors with banana plugs or just bare wire them, just make sure you get the phasing right. However you do need to find out the ohm loading of the speakers, for most modern receivers they should not be below 4ohm. Look in the manual or on the rear of the speakers.

3. Mac0z

Mac0z
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great, thank you for the swift response.