Old Bose Jewel Cubes as Atmos Speakers

BlueVelcro

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. I recently moved into a house that has a 2011ish Bose Lifestyle Surround (Lifestyle v35) system wired through the walls with four Jewel Cube on the ceiling above the listening/viewing area and the center channel high up on the TV wall. They are currently hooked up to the Acoustimas "Sub" and then to the Bose Lifestyle reciever/control console. I have a Denon AVR-X3700H receiver that I would like to use for Atmos in this area and better speakers that I can use for front L/R, Center, and Rear L/R and a sub.

Is it possible to use the four Bose Jewel Cubes in the ceiling as Atmos speakers before I can replace them with something better? It will be a few months before I want to buy something better and maybe more before I get around to doing the wiring. The Jewel Cubes have the single RCA connector that plugs into the Acoustimas. Is there a way to connect them to the Denon AVR-X3700H? If cubes ran through the Acoustimas can that be connected to the Denon but still operate as Atmos speakers?

I have seen a couple of similar questions on the forum but they usual involve using the cubes as a rear. I also understand that the sound won't be good from the Bose speakers (and will be replacing them at some point) but just want to see if there is way for me to try it out before I can do that.

Thanks!

ddlooping

@BlueVelcro Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I would assume that what was said about using them as rears applies to using them as Atmos.

BlueVelcro

Novice Member
Thanks. The solution that I previously saw proposed was to connect the Acoustimas module to the receiver and run the jewel cubes as rear speakers through the Acoustimas while connecting the other speakers directly to the receiver.

The reason I’m not sure if that will work is that the Acoustimas module has specific ports for Front L/R and Rear L/R. I’m not sure if it’s possible to get speakers to function as Atmos through those ports.

ddlooping

I'm afraid my previous post is the extent of the help I can provide, as I don't know anything about this Bose system. 😊

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will join us. 😉

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Is it possible to use the four Bose Jewel Cubes in the ceiling as Atmos speakers before I can replace them with something better? It will be a few months before I want to buy something better and maybe more before I get around to doing the wiring. The Jewel Cubes have the single RCA connector that plugs into the Acoustimas. Is there a way to connect them to the Denon AVR-X3700H? If cubes ran through the Acoustimas can that be connected to the Denon but still operate as Atmos speakers?

First of all are they in the correct place for Atmos?
If they're in the four corners of the room it's not really ideal.

How many speakers are you running in your base layer?
5.1, 7.1?

The Denon only has 9 channels so you can have 5.1.4 or 7.1.2

You have to use the Acoustimass module to make them work, so they won't be seen as Atmos. The only way, and I'm not advocating this, I could see to make them work is to cut the RCA connectors off and connect them to the Denon.
You'd have to know exactly what these speakers are and check their impedance as if it's incorrect it could cause damage to the speakers or worse, the AVR.

If they are suitable, they actually should be fine for Atmos, it's not that demanding. I wouldn't advocate them for much else but I use a similar type of speaker, a Cambridge Audio Minx, for Atmos and many other members use this as well.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
They're 4-ohm speakers and the Denon is 8-ohm rated.

This means the Bose will place a higher demand on the AVR and can lead to overheating if used for too long at high volumes.

ddlooping

@Sloppy Bob

If they were front speakers I would understand the risk of overheating, but considering they'd be used for Atmos wouldn't that considerably limit this risk?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Yes, but Atmos, while not in use all the time for loud effects, can still be used more than you think.

It's why people who have Atmos describe it as a "bubble of sound". You don't so much notice it's there as you miss it when it isn't.
Also you can upscale on your AVR so they can be in use even when watching basic 5.1 content.

I'm not saying it's a major issue. But I'm not prepared to tell you it'll all be fine and be responsible for your AVR melting.

Connecting 6-ohm speakers is quite common but 4-ohm is normally cheap Home Theatre in a Box type speakers rather than even satellites from the likes Monitor Audio, QAcoustics and Cambridge Audio sell.

BlueVelcro

Novice Member
Thanks, guys! Very helpful. I’m going to look into the impedance issue. I don’t have a problem cutting the cables if I can get comfortable with that.

Here’s a picture of the room. Not Thea best angle, but you can get an idea. The rears are about in line with back of the couch. The fronts are about 1/3 of the way from the wall to back of the couch.

64AB7D7A-1679-430F-8144-40BC7B0798FA.jpeg

ddlooping

@BlueVelcro

Before you change the settings to 4 ohms I'd suggest you do some reading about the subject. :)

One example amongst many...

Maybe 6 ohm might be a good compromise?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom