1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Black & White movies in Widescreen

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by samwiley, Jun 11, 2001.

1. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are so many Classic movies not released in their original Widescreen format?

These films are rarely if ever shown in commercial cinemas (unless there's been a restoration or a release anniversary) and as such are ideal for home cinema viewing in their glorious original format, rather than the 4:3 TV mutilated pan & scan versions.

I'd love to own films like Casablanca or Gilda but don't want to waste my money on format versions that simply don't do them justice!

Sam

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The films that you mention were actually made in 4.3 and widescreen versions just do not exist.
    Widescreen (or CINEMASCOPE) was actually introduced in the mid fifties, the first film made in this format was THE ROBE, staring Victor Mature.
    Warner Brothers introduced Cinemascope to try and entice people out of their homes and from in front of their tiny 4:3 shaped TV's.
    The rest as they say, is history.
    Hope this helps.

3. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...erm... actually it was 20th Century Fox that introduced Cinemascope (original AR 2.55:1!) with The Robe, in Color by DeLuxe, way back in 1953...

Movies made before 1953 had an AR of 1.37:1 (a.k.a. the Academy aperture) - e.g. Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Singin' In The Rain, etc.

...why not take a look here:
    http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/

Enjoy!

. . .

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Corrected I stand! Though I did write my info down on the spur of the moment without any research!
    Just how close to 4.3 is 1.37.1? :confused:

5. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

You live & learn, as they say :) .

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    4x3 equates to 1.33:1, so an academy ratio, 1.37:1, film shownn as 1.33:1 will lose 3% of the picture, @ 1 cm each side on a 61" TV (not a lot then!).