1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old AVC-10se - keep or upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jrrs1, Jul 29, 2005.

1. jrrs1

jrrs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Relative newbie here and looking for some advice form you nice chaps :lease:

Just about to complete my HTPC (what a box!!) and have the Denon AVC-10se ( about 5 ish years old?) its never been out of its box (dont ask) and i'm really looking forward to using it.

My theory is to run a cable from the PC ( SPDIF) to the AMP and i feel its best to let the amp do the digital>analogue convertion for me rather than my pc. ( i assume thats right).

What cable am i looking for and what connection on the amp will it go into( composite etc??) ?, i'm sure this is a stupid question so aplogies in advance.

Can anyone reccomend a good quality cable that i'll need, i reckon i need about 50cm to 100cm, budget about £20-40

Cheers John

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Hi

Depending on whether your HTPC has an optical or digital coaxial output. You just need to run this cable into one of the Digital Inputs (either optical or coaxial) on the Denon and it will then decode whatever signal you feed to it. Make sure you assign the correct digital input to the input you want to use e.g DVD - Coax1 etc. Also make sure the Amp is set to AUTO so that will automatically lock onto the incoming signal.

You can get a decent coaxial cable in the Cable Powerbuys Forum from member Mark Grant. :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101717

3. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

just bought a used AVC A10se and am so impressed with it! I wouldnt upgrade it - sonically you would be pushed to better it for less than half a grand if not more!

Video wise - it can not handle any digital video switching - but it has 2 component and as many s-video and composite as you can shake a stick at (well 8 or so).

Depending on what display you were using I would patch the HTPC straight to your display (VGA or DVI) and any other video (lesser quality inputs) could be switched through the amp.

Im running M&K speakers with it - what have you got?

Cheers

P

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    To re-iterate,
    Keep the amp. It is a good 'un.

Let the amp do the decoding. It will be much better at it.

If you have a choice between SPDIF options, use co-axial. If you only have optical, don't worry. Co-axial's advantage is physical (more robust) not quality.

A decent lead of either type will be available for well within your budget.

Out of interest what is the soundcard in your HTPC?