1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Amstrad Sky Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chris_D, May 30, 2003.

1. Chris_D

Chris_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Hope someone can help me. Ive got an old Amstrad Sky box and just bought a new 32 inch tv. The picture on sky is pretty terrible, the size of the tv is showing the compression artifacts(watching via aerial is great). The sky digibox is about 5-6 years old, would a new sky box produce a better picture? I was under the impression after reading here it would but Sky said this was untrue and buying a new box would be a waste of money. Can anyone put me straight?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Chris

Are u watching using the scart socket? Have u switched output to RGB? Are u watching in 16:9 or 4:3?

Then the channel u are watching can also differ one to the other. Say the channel.

Also check the lnb cable on the digibox, make sure it is tight. And do u know how to check signal strength??

It goes on and on.

What make is the TV and is it 100hz?

Welcome to the joys of widescreen TV.

GB--

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Unless the box is faulty (not likely from what you describe) then the only benefit from a new box would be faster menus etc. If your signal quality is low, then it may be worth getting your dish realigned; the higher the signal quality, the less error correction required which should lead to a better pic :)

4. Chris_D

Chris_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response,
    The tv is a Philips 32PW9308, which is a 100hz set. Im using a scart cable between the tv and sky box, and RGB is enabled on the sky box. I know the bitrates from channel to channel changes but the lack of quality is pretty universal its especially noticeable when fire or grass is displayed. I looked at the signal strength and quality. The strength is about 80-90% but the quality is only about 50%, do you think this is the cause then?

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm, the quality isn't too bad really, if you don't get pixellation when it rains, leave it. The thing is bitrates on Sky are fairly low and what you describe is typical for large screen TVs when viewed up close, especially ones like the Philips Pixel+ range which are resolution boosting and very sharp... only adding to the obviousness of the poor picture.

Try my settings ;)

6. Chris_D

Chris_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive turned the sharpness right down and it is a lot better, thanks fot that. Is there any alternative to sky? Does something like cable provide higher quality pictures or is sky about the best whats available at the moment?

7. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I edited my previous post... also try Movie+ mode rather than Pixel+ see which you prefer.

Cable is usually worse. Some say freeview is a little better... but then you lose all the choice :)