1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay thats it Sharp 32GA4E it is

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Bob Todd, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    now where is the best place to get one and why?

I cant find a screen that is better all around.

only 10 cm thick, has numerous picture modes like PAP over the Toshiba, also supports better PC input

2. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    With you on this. Just have to find stock somewhere now.

Had thought of the 37" but the 32" is very close to a 36" size anyway.

3. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, I think I'm going to buy one of these too. Cheapest I've seen it is £1242.

I might wait until the new year, and see the price on the 37" version. The extra 5" makes a big difference.

4. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too. A friend of mine has tried the Tosh 32WL48 HDMI and it will NOT take a DVI signal from a PC. The Sharp definitely will. If you want max quality PC input, the Sharp seems like the best bet at the moment.

Problem is I rang seven e-tailers on Friday and only one place had the Sharp (32GA4E) in stock but it was a bit dearer in that shop. :( Most places said a week to two weeks, but one place said that they won't have any stock until mid-January. :eek:

Starting to get a bit cynical about the whole process now...

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    Skiny I wouldnt particulary go for the cheapest even though sharp are offering 3 year warranties, some are offering 5 year

6. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    flatdeal are out but expecting some this week, but they have back orders

7. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    god dammit just call 4 others they say end of week

8. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Why not?

9. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    well if you check robert whyte he is offering 5 year warranty for around 1450, now if sharp where not offering 3 years warranty which is only available up until december, and sharp seem to be unable to fill demand so many people might not get the 3 year warranty by the time the transaction happens and end up with 1 year.

buying one for 1250 or so doesnt look such a big bargain then does it.

anyway I have ordered with flat deal.

10. AzleaAnn

AzleaAnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm..I wonder if John Lewis does the 4E ?? ....I know they do and have on display the 3E. I would prefer the 4E with the speakers on the side. Was hoping to buy, with the 5 years warranty and get a price match with somewhere.
    I know that Robert Whyte offer 5 years but I'm still someone who likes to deal with a local store when it comes to this sort of money....if anything goes wrong you have someone you can go and complain to face to face :)

Az

11. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I don't really care about the warranty too much. If it works for the first few days you get it, it will probably work until the back light dies.

12. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Skiny on this one. I know that warranty gives some peace of mind but at what cost? The failure rate for electronics follows a bathtub curve -that is, high infant mortality then low rate for a long time then high rate at the end of it's life as various components start to pack up. If I look back at all the electronic goods I've ever owned, nothing has even gone wrong in what I would call the middle of its life. I've paid for extended warranties on things such as my digital camera and laptop to the tune of hundreds of pounds and never called on them - never again. The only thing I can think of ever paying to repair was a well used VHS recorder, about 5 years old, and it cost £50 to fix.

13. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    lol u fruits what about in a year to 18 months time when u want a sharp baboom with 1920x1080 8ms resolution turbo nutter b*stard display?

You will get mo money for that sharp if it has 2-3 years left on the warranty

14. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess it'll make some difference to the sell-on price - not something that concerns me. Also, with the rate the price of these things is dropping at who knows what one will actually be worth 2nd hand in a couple of years anyway.

15. AzleaAnn

AzleaAnn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about the warranty...and yeah chances are if you have it you wont ever need it....but all the same..I would imagine IF something goes wrong with one of these screens its going to be mighty expensive to get repaired.

Az

16. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You pays your money, you takes your chance. It's all about what risk you're willing to live with vs what security you're happy to pay for. I know a few salesmen and I know that they often get more commission for selling the warranty or credit agreement than for selling the product. Also, big stores are happy to give away warranty on the basis that they won't have to pay out very often (the house always wins.......). I'm happy to play the odds and live with the risk.

Apologies for dragging this thread :offtopic:

17. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    and we know how LCD's grow dead pixels over time, imagine if it inherited several after 2 years and your model was discontinued, nice brand spanking new model comes to your door

18. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Do they, I have never heard that it is a common fault? I got my first LCD monitor back in 1999 and its been in daily use since. It started off with one dead pixel, and that is what it still has today. Likewise, my Laptop, bought in 2000, still no dead pixels. Granted, like any electrical component, a pixel could fail over time, but, for any single pixel, there is no reason why it would fail any more than any other component in the display, including the internal electronics.