Okay, so now my head hurts.

Mr Bump

Established Member
Reaction score
And I'm not sure this is going to make it any better! ;)

Anyway - I'm looking for a nice progressive scan DVD player and I'm not really sure what I want. Price isn't a issue per se, as if I need to spend more than I currently have, I can soon save up, but here is my problem: I have an Optoma H56 projector and I would like to get a DVD player that can do it justice, but at the same time, I don't want to go overboard buying some £1000+ DVD player, if the projector really isn't good enough for it - it's certainly not a 'entry level' projector, but I realise that it is hardly that far up the rungs either....

I was looking at a HK DVD25/2550 that seemed to do everything I wanted, but now I'm not so sure - what do you guys think?

Well, you have a big choice these days.

Personally, I'd buy a Pioneer or an Arcam. Both these ranges offer fantastic value for money.

I've currently got a DV88+ and would highly recommend it as a high end luxury player. It'll do both NTSC and PAL prog scan, and do it extremely well.

Are you adverse to buying ex dem/2nd hand? If not you can get some truely fantastic deals. It'll only be a false economy if you don't spend now, leaving you upgrading in a year. Of course, I only say that as it seems as if you have a flexible budget.

Even go up to the Arcam DV27 level if you can. Your projector will shine with a premium quality source.

Perhaps the answer is to wait a month or two. PAL Progressive has only recently been approved and so there will soon be a glut of prog scan DVD players on the market to suit all pockets.

Sony are just about to bring out their new 730, 930 and 999 players. The 930 will be initially available at £245.

I assume that Panasonic will be adapting their reputidly excellent American prog scan players for Europe. Eg the RP82. They sell over the pond for about $180.

Philips, Toshiba, Pioneer and the rest will probably follow soon after.

Cheers,
Callum.

Thanks guys - that's given me some more to think about! :)

Hey Skanky - nice to bump into someone from Ipswich. :smashin: You must know all the local haunts then, like Edge and Seavenoaks.

Mr Bump - Have you thought about a HTPC?

I'm sure you posted a picture of the Optoma PJ (but can't find it now) and it had Composite, S-Video, VGA and DVI connections.

I think (so its probably not right) that you would get better picture quality connecting a HTPC to the DVI.

Keep us posted on your player / PJ combi. The Optoma is one on my short list.

Yeah, I got rid of that post, as I was talking out of my arse! :rolleyes:

The picture was this:

H56.jpg

I'm really not sure that HTPC is the way forward to me though - I want a nice picture and all, but I really don't want to be fiddling about with a PC whenever I want to watch a film. Skanky's review of the Arcam in his thread has me very interested - I know for a fact that Sevenoaks in Ipswich stock the machine, so I'd be able to demo it from them.....

I know how you feel, after working all day with PCs the last thing I want to do when I get home is fiddle with a PC just to watch a DVD.

Have a look in the Projector and HTPC sections as they clearly have their advantages. The HTPC will be able to match the projectors native resolution, and offer progressive scan.

I don't know what connectors the Arcam player has, but I don't think you would do your PJ justice by using composite or s-video.

Might also be worth looking at the Primare player, as this has a VGA connection

Hi Mr Bump,

Have you considered one of the new DVI output players? Check out the thread on the new Momitsu player, which I think would go well with your Optoma H56.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom