okay... I'm doing PJ paint

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, out of boredom I knocked out a wall in the house before we do start the extension which will take 1-2 years to properly complete with the rate builders are available..

and now I have a 6M long room which I threw 4M wide image from.

and wow... I am impressed.

I can't source a screen easily of this size.. or moreso, I want to pick the right screen for this size and am prepared to wait until I've extended to make the 'final purchases'.

So I have decided to go down the PJ paint route and that way I can do 16:9, 21:9 content seemlessly just projecting onto the wall.

I'll post photo sof the room tommorow.. just wondering for u guys who've done it.. whats the best way of going about PJ paint and room treatment?

This is the LEAST IDEAL ROOM in the world. Its more just a fun project of 'what will come' in a years time.

in reality this is a dining/lounge room and not a HT room.. I've just got a spare PJ... and I'm the only one who lives in the house so can afford to do some dodgy decorating decisions :D.

Projecting on to a wall in theory is a great idea, but have a good close look at your wall so for all indentations, pulls in the plaster, bumps ripples all of which will show on bright coloured images. There is also the fact that you will likely never get a wall completely true and glass flat, well perhaps if you get a a good plasterer and you get the wall plaster boarded first then there is a chance.

Anyways there is a very long thread on the black widow mix on these forums, there is always Mississippiman over on avsforums too he likely the persons brain you want to pick, as he does projector paint on a commercial level and by all accounts a very friendly and helpful guy.

probably cheaper easier to just buy a cheap screen and either bolt to wall or buy a pull down thing or something if just want to get by. low cost... some sort of known quantity and can easily dispose the thing once done with it.

2nd hand screens go for an absolute pittance ... so should be some bargains about.

given want to go with a large canvas that want to place image on... ie doesnt have to perfectly match screen size or perspective needed.. should leave options open to screens can buy... ie more choice..not looking or just one size/perpective thing.

probably cheaper easier to just buy a cheap screen and either bolt to wall or buy a pull down thing or something if just want to get by. low cost... some sort of known quantity and can easily dispose the thing once done with it.

2nd hand screens go for an absolute pittance ... so should be some bargains about.

given want to go with a large canvas that want to place image on... ie doesnt have to perfectly match screen size or perspective needed.. should leave options open to screens can buy... ie more choice..not looking or just one size/perpective thing.
yup 2nd hand screens are about as cheap as I've seen in years, I saw a react 3 screen sell on ebay in the last 2 weeks for £101!

I project onto a wall painted with Crown Deluxe Matt White.
I project an image 10 foot wide, so about 136” diagonal and I sit about 15ft back.

You should find that with a larger image you sit further back and so a less optimal wall surface is less visible.

It works brilliantly as I control light with removable Devore velvet on walls and ceiling and have dark rugs on the floor.

I stick with Constant Image Width now so I have no issues with the movies that change aspect ratio from scene to scene and don’t have a “tiny” 16:9 image.

I'm trying to project a 4M metre wide ultrawide image. so equivalent of a 150-160inch image in wide screen.. i think i might struggle to find one for a decent price and am very interested in the ALR possibilities and potential of paint.

Projecting on to a wall in theory is a great idea, but have a good close look at your wall so for all indentations, pulls in the plaster, bumps ripples all of which will show on bright coloured images. There is also the fact that you will likely never get a wall completely true and glass flat, well perhaps if you get a a good plasterer and you get the wall plaster boarded first then there is a chance.

Anyways there is a very long thread on the black widow mix on these forums, there is always Mississippiman over on avsforums too he likely the persons brain you want to pick, as he does projector paint on a commercial level and by all accounts a very friendly and helpful guy.

Thanks. I've spoken to Mr Missisipiman. YEs the wall might not be perfect. Anyway for me to check this before I post it?

Its an empty (and challenging room) pending construction so I can do pretty much whatever I want in there as its all going to get rennovated to the dark moody lounge in 12 months time.

this is the state the room is in at the moment which allowed me the extra 2M of throw distance :D
one bored evening.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1384 (1).jpg
    IMG_1384 (1).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 60

The latest video from AVForums