1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay - honest opinions, 32" HD LCD..

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wj209980, Oct 24, 2005.

1. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a few months back when I first started looking into the world of big screens and HD TV. Then I had some money issues so it all went out the window, but now I'm back on track again so I'm starting the hunt all over again..

So, i've not kept up with things... I would like a 32" LCD TV that is HD ready (I'll be looking at SKY HD when it becomes available, and will most probably get myself an X-Box 360..). So what is the best screen out there for around the £1000 mark? Could go a bit higher if you could convinve me it was worth it :)

Thanks peeps :D

2. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    panny lxd52 is around £1050

3. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate - will look into it :D

4. TJNewton

TJNewton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Toshiba 32WLT58, I've got one and " I'm Lovin It". :thumbsup:

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I'll refer you to my response to this thread - same rules apply.

6. Undecided

Undecided

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All comments subjective and belong to me; this doesn't mean they're right or that you will agree with them!

I've been looking and lurkng for months. There is now a great selection (IMHO) around the £1K mark - providing you look around and don't just buy from the first shop you go into.
    My wife had quite a lot of input to the choice, because she has quite strong views on "what looks nice" so bear that in mind.
    I narrowed it down to :
    Panasonic LX32LXD500
    Toshiba 32WLT58
    Sony KDLS32A12
    Sony KDLV32A12

and then the Panasonic LX32LXD52 suddenly entered the frame.

I think Panasonic have spoilt the styling of the LXD500 over the non HD LXD50. It looks tattier and it's bigger because the speakers have been moved from the bottom to the sides. So out it went.
    The LXD52 suddenly appeared and seems to be an LXD50 with HD input. The styling is the same as the LXD50 so is 'better' than the LXD500. It lacks the 500's SD card input and something else I forget, but it's £400 cheaper than the 500.

Sony seem to have really upset dealers; I couldn't get a good word about these sets (you will find people going into ecstasy in this forum about these sets, so somebody obviously likes them) because they all said that the panels were made by Samsung and one paid a heavy premium for a Sony brand. One dealer in particular was scathing about the spares situation re Sony. So, although the sets are beautiful to look at, I didn't get the S32 and the V32 is still nearly £1500 from internet dealers.
    So I (we) went for the Toshiba 32WLT58. Wife loves the styling (Tosh call it picture frame) because it has a slim frame, in a grey/silver colour and it's small - 32 is 800mm wide. Has 2 HD inputs and lots of other connectivity.
    Took delivery of mine this morning - set up v. easy and 5mins later everything tuned in. Picture looks great (although it will need tweaking but being a newbie there are so many picture options I'm hoping to get some starter for 10 settings from somewhere) and I can't see any stuck pixels. It cost £1089 from TV & Video Direct (I have no connection with that company); ordered last Friday and arrived today.
    Other people swear by the Samsung which is a couple of hundred cheaper I think.
    However, there is only one way to choose, really and that is to make a short list and then go and have a look and DON'T be put off by the dreadful displays you see in shops like Comet and Curry's. My local John Lewis not only had dreadful pictures on all its TVs but it had dreadful staff as well (with one notable exception)
    So - decide on a short list, go and look and don't be swayed by the slippery tongues of the salespeople.

Good luck

7. Chris White

Chris White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sammy 32" from waratah? £800ish?

8. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the tips guys..

looks like i'm gonna have to research the sammy 32", the panny LXD52 and the Toshiba 32WLT58.........

9. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sammy looks the best - just ask your wife !!