1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay finally got round to doing ATI RGB .. need help with Sky

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by stlic, Mar 7, 2004.

1. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey all,

I finally got round to using the RGB direct drive instructions and very happy I am too. Now the problem... my set only has one RGB scart..:mad: :mad: so I'm in a dilemma. Thankfully my Sky box will pass through an RGB signal, well simple enough you would think. Not so.. here's the problem, The monitor is constantly displayed from my server/HTPC which means that SKY is always trying to output this signal. Even if I set the frequency out of range so that the TV cannot pick up a signal Sky will still try to forward the signal meaning I can;t watch the broadcast.

Now I was wondering if you could get sky to ignore the VRC scart when you want and at other times watch it? I can put my PC into monitor standby but I want to be able to use it via VNC which would put the monitor on. ...

Please any help will do.. I'm getting desperate here..:p

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

your easiest solution will be a SCART switch, so you can just select either PC or Sky depending on what you want to do.
    ...or am I missing something here ?

cheers

3. jsheldon

jsheldon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering doing this mod, so really interested to hear how you got on.

The soldering looks fiddly, but nothing patience shouldn't sort, what cable did you use ? I was thinking about using a svga extension cable, chopping one connector off and soldering a scart on.

How did you manage with Powerstrip ? Was it easy to set up? I'm worried that I'll fry either the tv or monitor whilst changing the frequency settings?

Justin

4. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I did the direct drive mod, so not from the s-video out but rather directly from the monitor connection. I took a normal scart lead as it's easy to remove a end without damaging the connections to see what colours go where (rather than a moulded vga cable. I brought a 75 Ohm resister, a VGA sub-d and a fine tipped iron plug (already has soldering iron).

The actual soldering wasn't nealy as bad as I expected, bear in mind the last time I soldered anything was when I was 14 so I was quite nervous.

About powerstrip it took a little while to get the settings right. I borrowed from posts made before and the "ideal" settings given on the directions pages (links below). It seems that different TVs like different settings so you do have to fiddle a bit before your happy.

One thing I noticed was that the desktop is perhaps a little sharp for it's own good (an issue which is mentioned in the guides) but I did the mod for movies primarily and they look great.. honestly a massive difference from the standard s-video out.

The guides:

http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html

http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

I used a mixture of the above two guides. The scematics on the first one seemed wrong even compared to the examples given so I used the main diagrams from the second guide and the resistor mod from the first (no need to connect directly to the power supply etc). Works fine with auto switching on my set.

I was a little worried about damaging my TV but I've heard that 100Hz tellys should have enough post processing to "protect" the TV from damaging signals. My Philips actually displays a blue screen to indicate an out of sync signal (making me think it isn't doing any damage to the set). Powerstrip is $30 so thats the only real cost involved.. I was thinking of getting a separate DivX player that could output an RGB signal but am glad I did the mod instead.

5. jsheldon

jsheldon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 100hz telly as well, but a Sony. I haven't built my HTPC yet, so can't try this just yet, but not far off now.